Counseling Services is located on the ground floor of Gardiner Hall and is accessed through the Health Center. We are staffed by three full-time Licensed Professional Counselors from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Appointments can be scheduled by calling the Health Center at 304-876-5161.
Free confidential counseling is available on campus to all students. We focus primarily on short-term counseling. Referrals to outside agencies for more extensive or comprehensive services are also available; however, Shepherd University will not assume the cost for these outside services.
- Support students in overcoming specific personal, interpersonal, or educational problems.
- Provide opportunities for students to develop self-management, problem solving, and leadership skills.
- Motivate students to reduce harmful behavior and increase healthy, life-affirming behavior.
- Provide education, assessment, and consultative services in the areas of mental health and well-being.
In case of a life-threatening emergency, call 911, or 9-911 from a campus phone. The Campus Police can be reached at 304-876-5202. Always notify your resident assistant of an emergency if you live on campus.
24 Hour Crisis Lines:
- EastRidge Health Systems: 304-263-8954 or 855-807-1258
- Berkeley Health Center Emergency Psychiatric Services: 304-350-3338
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
- Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860