Civil War Center
Welcome to the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War at Shepherd University. Engaged in a long-term project to establish a Civil War soldier database with initial emphasis on West Virginia soldiers, the Center has a magnificent Civil War library and sponsors lectures by leading authorities on antebellum and Civil War history, summer seminars, and battlefield tours.
Hours of Operation: Monday -Friday from 8:00am – 4:30pm.
Calling all Shepherd University History Majors!!
Applications for the Summer 2018 Antietam National Battlefield and Shepherd University Internship now available
Antietam National Battlefield and the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War are pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for the Summer 2018 internship at Antietam National Battlefield. Any Shepherd University undergraduate history major is eligible to apply. The application deadline is February 16, 2018. For full details please see the 2018 Antietam National Battlefield Application or call the George Tyler Moore Center at 304-876-5429. Thank you to Antietam National Battlefield and Eastern National for this unique and amazing opportunity for our Shepherd University history majors!
George Tyler Moore Center – Shirts Now Available!!
Many of you have asked and now they’re here – our newly designed long-sleeved shirts are now available! Whether you are looking for that perfect gift for your favorite Civil War buff or you want to sport your support for the Civil War Center, our shirts are available in sizes small through 2XL. For a $25 donation, these shirts are sure to please anyone on your list this holiday season. For more information on how you can get our latest shirt and support the George Tyler Moore Center, please contact Jennifer Alarcon at 304-876-5429 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
George Tyler Moore Center Dedication Ceremony
Click here to view the dedication ceremony of the George Tyler Moore Center at the Conrad Shindler House attended by Mary Tyler Moore on May 10, 1996.
Established in 1993 and located in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War (GTMC) promotes the study of the Civil War era through the integration of scholarship, undergraduate education, and public engagement.
We promote conversation between the Shepherd University academic community and the general public with an emphasis on state and regional history. As affiliates of both Shepherd University and the Department of History, the GTMC uses its resources to educate students, faculty, scholars, and staff through:
- The sponsorship of public programs, including partnerships with regional academic institutions, museums, and historic sites
- The facilitation and oversight of the Civil War/Nineteenth-Century America concentration for History majors, including their involvement with other Shepherd University students to assist in research projects to advance the GTMC mission
- The maintenance of the Civil War Soldiers database
- The advancement – in concert with the Department of History and its Historic Preservation/Public History Program – of internships and other professional opportunities
- The acquisition, storage, and dissemination of primary and secondary print and digital materials to enhance the scope of the Shepherd University library collection