The Shepherd wireless network is available to students, faculty and staff. The network is called registration.
It is available in all academic, administrative, common and residential buildings.
We are constantly trying to improve coverage, but there are some spots where there is not coverage or the coverage is weak. If you find a spot which has a weak connection or no coverage, please contact the User Support Desk so we are aware of it.
University Owned Laptops allow access to the internet and shared disk space (network drives).
- The first time you log onto the laptop, you must be connected to the wired network. Your credentials cannot be checked by the wireless network if you have not logged on initially to the wired network.
- Laptops must be registered by IT Services. Please do not try to register the laptop yourself. Doing so will allow internet access only. To determine if the laptop is registered, go to Start, then All Programs. Verify Click to access your network drive via Wireless is listed under Wireless. If it is not listed, please contact IT Services at x5457 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for setup and registration.
Note:The first time you access the wireless network, you are required to enter your credentials.
- The balloon below will appear from the system tray. Click in the balloon.
- When the Enter Credentials box appears, enter your Shepherd User name and password. Leave the Logon domain box blank. Click OK.
- The Wireless Network Connection balloon will display after a brief period. You now have access to the wireless network and will not have to enter credentials the next time you access it. This message will appear each time you are within range of a campus wireless hotspot.
If you need your network drives (“M” and “N”), go to Start then All Programs. Select Wireless and click on Click to access your network drive.
Employee owned laptops, tablets and smartphones must be registered to connect through our Wi-Fi network to the Internet. Personal devices are allowed access to the internet only. Windows systems require an active and up-to-date anti-virus system in order to pass the registration process.
Select the appropriate wireless client instructions below.
- Windows version 7
- Windows 10 (in PDF format)
- iPhones/iPads/iPods (in PDF format)
- MacOS 10.11 and higher
- Android Devices
- Other Linux systems are allowed, but instructions are not provided due to the diversity of vendors and versions. Linux users are encouraged to search the Internet for more information.
If you need more assistance, please contact the IT Services Desk at 304-876-5457 or e-mail email@example.com to create a ticket in our work order system.