Our music degrees, your campus life, and your future
What we offer
We offer three degrees: a Bachelor of Music (B. M.) in Performance with instrumental, vocal, piano, and jazz emphases, a Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.) with vocal and instrumental emphases, and a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music with concentrations in Composition, General Music, and Piano Pedagogy.
The School of Music strives to inspire student growth creatively, artistically, and professionally by providing a climate conducive to the development of the comprehensive musician. This is achieved through a highly personalized and student-centered approach for the development of a unified core of musical experiences. Toward this end, the program is designed:
- To develop performance and/or compositional skills exhibiting artistic integrity and competence;
- To foster music ensembles which demonstrate the highest standards in artistic excellence;
- To foster student inquiry, interaction, and self-discovery;
- To provide a strong foundation for future graduate music study;
- To train students seeking public school music careers according to approved standards of teacher education;
- To develop student capacity to communicate music and its role in society to others;
- To develop artistic sense of the general student in terms of musical understanding, appreciation, and perception;
- To provide avocational opportunities for interested students through participation in various music ensembles and other music activities; and
- To enhance the image of the College of the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, the School of Music, and the university by serving as a hub of artistic activity for the community.
Academic Life at Shepherd University
- A perfect location amid history, culture, and the great outdoors. We’re just an hour from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore.
- Small classes and personal attention, with more than 75 academic programs from which to choose.
- Dedicated teachers and mentors who open opportunities for you in research, study abroad, internship, and independent projects.
- A close-knit, comfortable community that challenges you to stretch yourself in leadership and service.
- A tradition of championship athletics and intense school spirit, with plenty of space to unwind and recharge.
- A world of experience that will open unexpected opportunities and unlimited possibilities for your future.