What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound (UB) has been funded by the United States Department of Education since 1965. Serving students who are historically underrepresented in higher education, Upward Bound offers skill building to students to help them achieve success in high school and in their post-secondary pursuits. The program is designed to help students gain academic skills, exposure to cultural activities, and information about college-going processes. The ultimate goal of the process is to help students transition from high school to college and to ensure that students are aware of opportunities available for them after high school. All services provided by Upward Bound are free to all students enrolled in the program.
Services Offered by Upward Bound:
- Weekly tutoring services after school
- 6-week Summer Academy classes on the Shepherd University campus. Classes will be in the areas of:
- Writing and Literature
- Wellness Education and Fitness
- Foreign Language
- ACT/SAT Test Prep
- Scholarship Research
- College Tours
- Cultural Enrichment Activities
- Financial Aid and Financial Empowerment Workshops
- Service Learning Opportunities
- Leadership Building
- Parent/Guardian Workshops
For more information please click here to view our brochure.