Main Menu

Transferring Courses (For Enrolled Students)

Once a student has enrolled at Shepherd, taking courses at other institutions for transfer to Shepherd must be approved in advance. Approval is not automatic. Complete the top of the green form on the wall rack in the Registrar’s reception area and leave it for the Registrar to add more information. You will need to return in about two days to pick it up to get other approvals; the staff will tell you when to return.

A Shepherd student must apply for transfer approval to take a non-Shepherd University course prior to enrollment at another institution. To apply for transfer approval, the student must be in good academic standing (institutional and overall GPA of 2.0 or above). No course that a student has attempted at another institution while on suspension shall be accepted by Shepherd University as part of the 128 hours minimum necessary for graduation. A student who previously enrolled in a Shepherd University course may not petition to retake that course at another institution. Course fulfilling major, minor, or teaching field requirements are rarely approved for off-campus enrollment.

To receive credit for a non-Shepherd course, the appropriate approval form must be obtained from the Registrar’s Office. The student will follow all procedures enumerated on that form including signatures of approval from the department chair of the discipline where the equivalent Shepherd course is offered and the student’s faculty advisor. After obtaining the appropriate signatures, the student submits the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.

Should any of the signatures not be secured, the completed approval form, along with the student’s written justification for seeking the course elsewhere, may be submitted to the registrar for presentation to the Admissions and Credits Committee for final action.

Articulation course agreements do not apply to any repeated Shepherd University course in which a student has received a grade of D or F. No Shepherd University D or F grade can be replaced by an equivalent transfer course.