Why should I join the Shepherd Success Academy?
Students who take ownership of their education are more likely to successfully complete their first semester! Every student who joins the Shepherd Success Academy (SSA) will be assigned to their own personal Success Coach who will meet with them weekly for one-to-one meetings and help them create a personalized success plan. A meeting with your Success Coach is one of the most productive ways to personalize your education and stay on track academically.
Additionally, SSA is a great opportunity to interact with your peers who, just like you, are starting college. Fellow students are another great support for you at Shepherd.
Remember, Success Coaches are not academic advisors. The conversations you have with your advisor will focus on planning curriculum and meeting requirements for your major, whereas a Success Coach will provide you with a space for everything in between (e.g. learning strategies, life management skills, and interpersonal communication skills).
What benefits do I receive from working with my Success Coach?
- Coaches can help you navigate campus resources and design learning strategies tailored to you. Meeting with a coach is comfortable, low maintenance, and low drama.
- It’s a chance for you to talk about your own experience at Shepherd, in and out of the classroom, and your transition from high school to college.
- Meeting with a Success Coach will help you create and act on your plan, and discuss the challenges, solutions, and progress for success. Coaches hold their students accountable and encourage personal responsibility.
- Additionally, students who participate in the Shepherd Success Academy have the opportunity to receive priority registration for the following semester.
Working with a success coach will help you:
- Understand and utilize critical campus resources
- Assist you to study smarter by developing skills in time management and goal-setting
- Gain insight to your own unique learning style
What do the one-on-one meetings consist of?
Each meeting is agenda-based and designed to cover topics related to student success such as time management and note-taking skills. A major benefit is that they consist of whatever you need during any point in the semester.
You may also discuss a range of topics with your coach that relate to challenges you’re experiencing, for instance: if you have questions about any kind of academic policy, feel any undue academic pressure, or want to explore academic options of any kind. You can learn to sharpen your learning or life management skills including: college reading and writing, managing stress, motivation and focus, communicating with instructors, and test-taking strategies.
Is the Academy a large time commitment?
No—we understand that our students lead busy lives! Each student is required to meet with their Success Coach weekly, but we work hard to ensure that that meeting time fits into your schedule. Meetings can last anywhere from fifteen minutes to thirty minutes depending on topics that need to be covered and questions/concerns the student has.