Financing Your Study Abroad Experience
Will my financial aid apply toward my study abroad expenses?
In most cases, yes! Your financial aid will apply.
Financial aid that can be used:
- Federal loans
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal SEOG
- Private Loans
Financial aid that cannot be used:
- Federal Work Study
- Institutional waivers
Financial aid that may be used:
- WV Higher Education Grant
- Promise Scholarship
- Institutional scholarships
- Some state grants, i.e., PHEAA
Study Abroad Scholarships
Please refer to the Study Abroad website at http://shepherd.abroadoffice.net/financialaid.html for links to sites that offer study abroad scholarships and grants.
If you have not already applied for financial aid, it is not too late! Apply at http://www.fafsa.gov.
Study Abroad Checklist:
- Prepare a budget with all your study abroad expenses: cost of tuition and fees, board, housing, airfare, passport, living expenses, etc. and bring this with you to the Office of Financial Aid
- Complete the Study Abroad Transfer Approval Form with the Registrar’s Office
- Complete the Consortium Agreement in the Office of Financial Aid
- Provide the Office of Financial Aid with the name and fax number of the “host” school’s financial aid counselor
Shepherd University shall be considered the “home” institution, and as such, will be responsible for calculating awards, disbursing aid, monitoring satisfactory academic progress, keeping records, distributing refunds, and any other eligible requirements. The study abroad institution shall be considered the “host” institution, and as such, will provide information on the registration, tuition, fees, room, board, and any other pertinent costs for the enrollment period.