*Updated strategies approved 11/05/2020 by the Shepherd University Board of Governors
Goal 1: Create a unified identity that clearly relays Shepherd University’s distinctive brand of academic excellence and innovative spirit to prospective students, collaborative partners, and the greater community.
- Strengthen and enhance strategic recruitment and enrollment efforts for in-state, out-of-state, and international undergraduate and graduate students.
- Position Shepherd University as a leading provider of academic, cultural, entrepreneurial, and continuing education opportunities.
- Develop innovative and collaborative solutions with the community, when appropriate, such as the co-development of academic programs, improvement of facilities, and identification of new funding sources.
- Identify focused efforts to build a more diverse student, faculty, and staff community on campus.
The Student Experience
Goal 2: Empower and support Shepherd’s increasingly diverse student body as they pursue a rigorous and transformative education that includes academic experiences beyond the classroom, preparing them for ongoing and future academic growth and a successful career path.
- Ensure that qualified students—regardless of financial, academic, or environmental obstacles—have the ability to enroll, persist, and succeed at Shepherd.
- Offer a flexible, high-quality education that accommodates varied learners through traditional, evening, weekend, summer, and online course structures.
- Provide enhanced academic advisement that ensures students will be able to successfully navigate the requirements for graduation.
- Strengthen access to and from Shepherd through increased partnership agreements with high schools, community colleges, and professional and graduate schools.
- Expand internship and career-related opportunities, preparing our students as professionals in a global, competitive workforce.
- Ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational aspects of our educational program offerings and teaching methodology.
The Employee Experience
Goal 3: Encourage, recognize, and reward faculty and staff for their contributions to the University’s mission, within a collaborative working environment that fosters academic freedom and professional growth.
- In conjunction with institutional financial indicators, create benchmarks for offering salary and merit increases for all faculty and staff.
- Offer alternative benefits to improve work/life balance such as telecommuting, tuition remission for dependents and spouses, and childcare.
- Encourage faculty innovation that incorporates new instructional techniques and learning modalities that increase opportunities for Shepherd’s diverse student body.
- Create increased professional development opportunities for staff and faculty that enrich the profile of the institution.
- Implement effective strategies for supporting a more diverse population of faculty and staff.
The Campus Environment
Goal 4: Establish a financially stable and environmentally sustainable foundation on which to grow the institution.
- Focus on creating a sustainable campus and a mindset of energy conservation and recycling practices, as well as electronic solutions for internal business processes.
- Diversify income streams and enhance budgets with extramural funding through grants, sponsored research, fundraising initiatives, public-private partnerships, and potential lease and rental agreements.
- Evaluate and adjust academic and administrative structures to meet current and future demands.
- Continue to work in alliance with the Shepherd University Foundation to support university- community partnerships.
- Ensure the efficient use of campus facilities and assets.
- Improve the accessibility and inclusiveness of spaces and facilities.