ISSUED: 22 October 2014
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
SHEPHERDSTOWN, WV — Shepherd University will welcome former students back, recognize the longevity of two of its academic programs, and celebrate the school’s history during homecoming October 31-November 1.
Highlights include Founder’s Day festivities with remarks about the 100th anniversary of family and consumer sciences and the 40th anniversary of the social work programs, a parade, the introduction of the homecoming court, and a football game against Glenville State College. Game day will include tailgating behind the library, where reunion groups like fraterinities, sororities and alumni groups have already reserved parking.
“We try to make this the time when we welcome them back on campus and help them remember why they love Shepherd so much,” Alexis Reed, director of alumni affairs, said.
Reed said home football games at Shepherd are always exciting but there’s even more energy during homecoming weekend.
“It’s very energized, people are excited, the temperature is cool, and people are with their friends who they shared this special time with so they’re coming back and reliving their days at Shepherd. So it’s just that kind of feeling and tradition that you get that day. People always want to tell you their stories about their time here. That’s something that I love because they start smiling when they talk about it, and you can immediately tell they have good memories.”
Reed pointed out homecoming allows current students the opportunity to network with alumni, find mentors, and make contacts in the business world.
“We want our students to see what Shepherd alumni are doing, that they are successful, that Shepherd was good to them, and that they love and respect Shepherd because it has given them the opportunities they have now.”
Activities that are planned Friday and Saturday include:
Friday, October 31
- All Day: Spirit Day; family and consumer sciences 100th anniversary exhibit, Scarborough Library Reading Room.
- 8:30 a.m.: Alumni Association golf tournament registration and breakfast, Cress Creek Country Club, followed by 10 a.m. tee off.
- 12:30-2 p.m.: Emeritus faculty and staff luncheon, Storer Ballroom, Student Center.
- 2:45 p.m.: Founders Day Procession begins at McMurran Hall and ends at Butcher Center Plaza.
- 3 p.m.: Founders Day Celebration, Butcher Center Plaza. Banner judging after the ceremony on Butcher Center plaza.
- 5-5:30 p.m.: Dr. Jim Pantle plaque unveiling and reception, Frank Center.
- 5:30-7 p.m.: Family and consumer sciences 100th anniversary reception, Stutzman-Slonaker Hall portico. Open to all former FACS and home economics students. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please RSVP by calling 304-876-5378 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 p.m.: Music Department and Ram Band Halloween Spooktacular Concert, Reynolds Hall.
- 9-11 p.m.: Masquerade ball, Student Center Storer Ballroom. Sponsored by the Program Board.
Saturday, November 1
- All Day: Shepherd family and consumer sciences 100th anniversary exhibit, Scarborough Library Reading Room.
- 9-11 a.m.: Alumni breakfast, lawn of McMurran Hall. Sponsored by Shepherd University Foundation and Shepherd Alumni Association.
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m.: Bookstore open.
- 10 – 11:30 a.m.: Tours of the Scarborough Library at Shepherd University. Sponsored by the Scarborough Society of Shepherd University.
- 10:15 a.m.: Homecoming Parade, German Street.
- 11 a.m.- 1 p.m.: Family and consumer sciences 100th anniversary, tours of the renovated food sciences and technology lab, room 102E, Stutzman-Slonaker Hall.
- 11 a.m.: Ram Band reunion lunch, Dining Hall lower level. Cost: $10 per person, RSVP required.
- 11:30 a.m.: Introduction of the homecoming court, Ram Stadium.
- Noon: Football game-Shepherd vs. Glenville State, featuring Ram Band Blues Brothers Revue. Between third and fourth quarter, outstanding alumna recognition of Betty Lowe.
- 4-8 p.m.: Alumni Association homecoming post-game party, Clarion Hotel and Conference Center. Admission: $5. Sponsored by the Shepherd University Alumni Association.
Listen to Alexis Reed’s interview HERE.
— 30 —