ISSUED: 17 August 2017
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
SHEPHERDSTOWN, WV — The Shepherd University Department of Music Preparatory Division is changing its name to Community Music at Shepherd (CMS). Dr. Rob Tudor, music department chair, said the name change better reflects the mission of the program.
“The traditional name, Preparatory Program, might lead one to believe we educate only young people to prepare them for collegiate music study,” Tudor said. “We chose Community Music at Shepherd to reflect the comprehensive music educational opportunities for pre-K to adult learners.”
Also, new this year, the Community Music program will offer new classes for older teens and adult continuing learners. Some of the new classes include:
- Piano Fun for Adults, taught by Susan Carpenter and meeting for 10 weeks on Wednesday evenings from 6:30-7:30 p.m. starting September 13. Learn to play in a relaxed, social group atmosphere while having fun making music. This class is for beginners or those who have forgotten how to play; no experience is necessary. Tuition is $120 plus the cost of the materials.
- Seeds of Music, taught by Dr. Greg Shook, will meet on Monday evenings from 6-7 p.m. beginning September 11 for 10 weeks. This class will explore why are we drawn to certain kinds of music, what exactly music is, and how we got where we are. The class will look at music from the earliest documented sources and trace its development from the obvious periods beginning with the Middle Ages and will also look at the influences from the various continents. Tuition is $120.
- I Got Rhythm, taught by Wayne Cameron, and designed for ages 17-adult, will meet on Thursdays from 6-7 p.m. for 10 weeks beginning September 14 and is limited to 10 participants. The class will emphasize basic rhythmic structures and incorporate rhythmic drills designed to strengthen the participants’ ability to sight-read rhythms effectively. Tuition is $120.
- Solutions for Performance Anxiety, also taught by Wayne Cameron, will meet on Thursdays from 7-8 p.m. for 10 weeks beginning September 14 and is limited to six participants. This class will offer some solutions for severe performance anxiety, including relaxation and concentration techniques. Tuition is $150.
- A Suzuki Strings Group class will be offered for young beginning violin students taught by Shepherd alumna Renee Shaw. This class will meet on Tuesdays from 6-7 p.m. for 10 weeks beginning September 12. Tuition is $120.
Early childhood music classes with Frauke Higgins will be offered on Friday mornings beginning September 8 for 10 weeks. Classes offered this semester will be:
- Musical Discoveries for students ages 18 months through 3 years at 9:15-10 a.m. on Fridays from September 8-November 10. The fee is $140 per student with an accompanying adult.
- Music for Preschoolers for ages 3-5 will meet at 10-10:45 a.m. on Fridays from September 8-November 10. The fee is $140 per student with an accompanying adult.
— 30 —