ISSUED: 5 February 2020
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
SHEPHERDSTOWN, WV — Shepherd University’s Fine Art, Science, Technology, Engineering, Educational Resource (FASTEnER) Lab is teaming up with the Lifelong Learning program to offer Walk-in Wednesdays, when anyone in the general public who is curious about the FASTEnER Lab can take a series of mini classes. Walk-in Wednesdays will take place from 5-7 p.m. beginning February 12. RSVPs are accepted and walk-ins welcome. The cost is $30 per class, or $150 for all eight. Classes being offered include:
- Feb. 12—Make Your Own Paper. With the help of fiber artist Nevada Tribble, participants will cover papermaking basics by mixing pulp and gathering and pressing it. Dress in clothes you do not mind getting wet.
- Feb. 19—Cast a Personal Ram Pendant. See a jewelry casting demonstration and take home a Shepherd ram inspired piece of jewelry.
- Feb. 26—MIG Welding Fundamentals. Make a pair of simple metal bookends while learning welding basics. Please wear long pants and long sleeves, clothing that is made of natural fibers, and leather boots.
- March 4—Make a Decorative Wooden Frame. Learn the fundamentals of fabrication and design with a forgiving medium by making a decorative frame. Please wear long pants and closed-toed shoes or boots.
- March 11—Laser Engrave a Personal Stamp. Digital fabrication is made easy in this course where participants will laser engrave and cut stamps.
- March 25—3D Printing Fundamentals. Learn the 3D printing processes by making small ram inspired sculptures.
- April 1—Cut Out a Toolbox with a CNC Router. The CNC machine will cut out toolboxes that can be put together. Please wear long pants and closed-toed shoes or boots.
- April 8—Glass Fusing Jewelry Fundamentals. Learn the basics of glass casting by making small earrings or pendants of your own design.
— 30 —