ISSUED: 30 January 2018
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
SHEPHERDSTOWN, WV — Shepherd University’s Debate and Forensics Team took first place in Team Sweepstakes at the January 26-27 Collegiate Forensic Association Winter Tournament in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
“This is a great start to our spring season,” said Dr. Joseph Robbins, chair of the Department of Political Science and Global Studies and team advisor. “This tournament pitted our students against teams from Virginia, New York, Pennsylvania, and Florida, among others.”
Seven members of the team attended the tournament and placed in the following categories:
- Parliamentary Debate Team—Sam Brown and Casey Feezle, first; Lauren Duckworth, fourth; and Spencer VanHoose and Katie Zakrzewski, sixth
- Parliamentary Debate Speaker—Molly Lovern, fourth.
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate—Sam Brown, third.
- Informative— Casey Feezle, first; Sam Brown, second; Molly Lovern, fourth; and Spencer VanHoose, fifth.
- Extemporaneous— Casey Feezle, first; Sam Brown, second; Carleigh West, third; and Molly Lovern, fifth.
- Persuasive—Sam Brown, second; and Molly Lovern, third.
- Communication Analysis—Sam Brown, second.
- Impromptu—Casey Feezle, second.
- After Dinner Speaking—Casey Feezle, third.
- Poetry—Lauren Duckworth, first; and Katie Zakrzewski, third.
- Dramatic Duo—Lauren Duckworth and Katie Zakrzewski, first.
- Prose— Katie Zakrzewski, third; and Sam Brown, fourth.
- Dramatic Interpretation—Molly Lovern, second; and Casey Feezle, third.
- Declamation—Molly Lovern, third.
- Pentathlon—Casey Feezle, first; Sam Brown, second; and Molly Lovern, third.
— 30 —