The Honors listserv at Shepherd University is designed to facilitate communication among the members of the Shepherd University Honors program. There are no restrictions on discussion topics at this time, but please keep in mind that this list is a public forum and do not post anything that you wouldn’t want to share with approximately 140 near strangers. Below are some guidelines for use of the list. My intent was to keep these guidelines brief and simple. Please feel free to suggest additions or changes, but remember that the final judgement belongs to the listowner (the Honors Program director).
Membership in the list is open only to individuals associated with the Shepherd University Honors Program: students, faculty and staff, and members of the Honors Advisory Board. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change your email address of record, send an e-mail to Dr. Mark Cantrell detailing your request; you may also unsubscribe from the list yourself, following the instructions at the bottom of listserv messages.
I am hoping that, with the help of these guidelines, the list can be largely self-regulating. I will not be constantly looking for violators of these guidelines, but in extreme cases or for repeat offenders I reserve the right remove an individual’s posting privileges (still allowing the individual to receive mail from the list) or to remove an individual completely from the list.
- First and foremost: Treat everyone with respect. Flaming has no place on this list and will not be tolerated.
- Remember that e-mail does not come with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice or any of the other cues that signal the intent of the sender. Because of that, it is very easy to misinterpret a message as a flame when no flame was intended. Please give the sender of a message the benefit of the doubt and assume that no flame was intended.
- Use the subject line to accurately describe the content of your message. If you change the topic or emphasis of a conversation, please change the subject line accordingly.
- Your name and e-mail address should be included in all messages to the list. This will allow other users to contact you with private e-mail if they wish.
- When responding to a previous post it is helpful to include those parts of the previous message that you are responding to in order to maintain continuity in the discussion. However, to preserve bandwidth and to make your response more readable, you should cut out any sections of the previous post that are not relevant to your response.
- Send notes intended for an individual to the individual and not to the list. There are some things we just don’t need to know.
- This document is intended to be a dynamic one that will change as we gain experience with the list and any problems that arise. New guidelines will be posted as it becomes obvious that they are needed, so check back here from time to time to make sure that you know and follow all of the current guidelines.