Main Menu


External academic building doors are generally unlocked and opened between 7 and 7:30 a.m. by the Facilities Management Department. Internal room doors to offices and classrooms are the occupants or departments responsibility.

Academic buildings are closed and secured weekdays at about 10 p.m. by Campus Police. Occupants are responsible for locking internal room doors when the room is no longer scheduled with activity. Building occupants should not assume that their interior areas will be locked by someone else. Employees who are authorized to access buildings while they are closed are issued keys or rambler access, as applicable. Authorized employees should not rely on Campus Police when after hours access is needed; the University police officer may not know whether a person is so authorized. When authorized individuals enter a closed building, the entrant should ensure that the door closes and locks behind them and is to assure that the building is secure upon leaving.

Keys to academic rooms and buildings are obtained from the Facilities Management office. Facilities will keep a record of all keys issued, who they were issued to, the date and signature of the recipient. Keys are to be returned to the Facilities office, by the individual who signed the key out initially, upon leaving the employment of the university or as the use of the key is no longer needed.

Persons requiring keys to internal rooms will obtain written authorization from their immediate supervisor and forward that request to the Facilities office. Persons authorized for outside door keys or external swipe card access will obtain a written request from the Vice President over the respective area. Electronically sent requests are acceptable. Facilities will cut the key, prepare the record and email the individual informing them that the key is ready to be picked up. Keys may be picked up at the Facilities office between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Temporary keys are issued from the Facilities Office to authorized vendors, contractors and facility staff on an as needed basis in support of valid work orders. Office staff will issue the keys and maintain a log of activity indicating to whom the key was issued, date issued, signature and date returned. The keys are to be returned on a daily basis except as authorized by the Physical Plant Manager or Assistant Managers. Rambler cards are available from the Rambler Card office. Programming for an external door is done through the Campus Police office. Requests require the same authorization process as that of keys for exterior building access.

Keys are issued to a specific individual and are not to be “handed down” to a successor “loaned out” without going through the Facilities Department.

Residence Life is responsible for issuing, tracking and keeping records of Residence Hall keys issued to Residence Hall students. Facilities Management will not issue keys to students for residence halls or for academic spaces. Student employees who are issued keys to specific work areas are to follow the same procedure as full time employees of the University.

Facilities Management supports RL in establishing the key systems used and in the repair and maintenance of locksets and key manufacturing. Authorized RL administrators may request and pick up bulk keys for re-issue to students from Facilities. RL staff are University employees and personally assigned keys are issued in the same manner for all University employees.