The University welcomes students from around the world for exchange and degree study. Students who have completed secondary education (high school) are eligible to apply as freshmen. Those who have completed post-secondary education (college or university) may apply as transfer students. Application deadlines are:
July 1st for Fall
November 1st for Spring
Undergraduate applicants, please follow the instructions below. Graduate applicants, please use the Graduate Studies Application.
Navigate to: Undergraduate Application Process | The Form I-20
Costs | Scholarships | Health Insurance
- Complete the online international application.
- Submit your academic record(s).
- Freshman applicants should submit their secondary (high school) transcript. Students who have completed college/university coursework should submit all post-secondary transcripts.
- For coursework completed outside of the United States, applicants must order an official course-by-course evaluation from any current member of NACES. Evaluations must include a statement of U.S. high school or degree equivalency.
- Course descriptions may be required for the award of specific credit.
- All non-US citizens/permanent residents must provide proof of English language proficiency for admission. Submit official results for one of the following:
Regular Admission allows a student to enroll at Shepherd with no stipulations.
Provisional Admission requires a student to enroll in Shepherd’s IELP courses and one additional course as advised during their first semester at Shepherd. If the student successfully completes those courses, they may then continue as a degree-seeking student at Shepherd.
|TOEFL Internet Based
|2 College level English courses at an accredited U.S. college or university, with grades of C or higher
|1 College level English courses at an accredited U.S. college or university, with grades of C or higher
|GCSE or GCE English Exam
|Letter grades A, B, or C or numerical grades 4-9
|Completion of an International Baccalaureate Diploma
*Exceptions: Students from the following English-speaking countries are exempt from providing proof of English language proficiency: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
Students planning to study under an F-1 student visa status will need an I-20 issued by Shepherd. To be eligible for an I-20, you must be accepted to the University and all of the following must be submitted:
1. Proof of financial support to cover the tuition and living expenses for one academic year (9 months). We estimate this amount to be $33,590 USD. You must provide an Affidavit of Financial Support in addition to:
- Bank statement(s) or other certification(s) from a financial institution of personal funds or approved loan stated in U.S. dollars (USD); or
- Formal notification from a scholarship agency (government, corporation, etc.) stating the availability of funds and the intention to support educational and living expenses for the duration of study at Shepherd University; or
- A statement on letterhead from an employer certifying that you have been granted study leave with salary support.
2. A copy of your passport information page.
3. If you are currently living in the United States, a copy of your U.S. immigration status (visa, approval notices, form I-94, etc.).
All additional documents should be sent to:
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 5000
As a public university, Shepherd requires non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents of West Virginia to pay out-of-state tuition and fees. The amount listed does not include any scholarships and actual costs may vary.
2022-2023 Estimated Undergraduate Cost-of-Attendance for International Students
Books and Supplies $1,000
Room and Board $11,868
Medical Insurance $750
Total $33,590 USD
International students have the opportunity to receive various scholarships, including merit-based, honors/scholars, athletic, departmental, and organizational awards.
Merit scholarships are automatically awarded to new freshmen who have a 3.0 GPA and the equivalent of an 1100 SAT or 22 ACT. Transfer students may be eligible for one of our Dual Admissions/TOPS tuition discount programs.
All international students are required to have medical health insurance coverage.
For more information, please contact our International Admissions Officer – Siriki Diabate at email@example.com.