The University welcomes students from around the world for exchange and degree study. Students who have completed secondary education (high school) are eligible to apply as freshmen. Those who have completed post-secondary education (college or university) may apply as transfer or graduate students. International students are encouraged to apply by:
August 1st for Fall
May 1st for Summer
December 1st for Spring
Undergraduate applicants, please follow the instructions below. Graduate applicants, please use the Graduate Studies Application.
Undergraduate Application Process
- Complete the online international application.
- Submit your academic record(s).
- Freshman applicants should submit their secondary (high school) transcript. Students who have completed college/university coursework should submit all post-secondary transcripts.
- For coursework completed outside of the United States, applicants must order an official course-by-course evaluation from any current member of NACES. Evaluations must include a statement of U.S. high school or degree equivalency.
- Course descriptions may be required for the award of specific credit.
- Submit one of the following in order to satisfy the English proficiency requirement:
|Exam/Program||SAT||ACT||TOEFL||IELTS||EIKEN||A.C.E. Language Institute’s Intensive English Language Program|
|Minimum Requirement||960 Combined Score and 480 Reading||19 Composite Score and 19 English and Reading||79 iBT, 550 PBT, or 213 CBT||6.5||Grade Pre-1||Successful Completion|
- This requirement may be waived for applicants from the following English speaking countries: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom OR for applicants who have studied full-time for at least one academic year with English as the language of instruction within the past three years.
- If you do not have any standardized test results, we can refer you to our Intensive English Language Program (IELP) for an assessment.
The Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)
Students planning to study under an F-1 student visa status will need an I-20 issued by Shepherd. To be eligible for an I-20, you must be accepted to the University and all of the following must be submitted:
1. Proof of financial support to cover the tuition and living expenses for one academic year (9 months). We estimate this amount to be $32,312 USD. You must provide an Affidavit of Financial Support in addition to:
- Bank statement(s) or other certification(s) from a financial institution of personal funds or approved loan stated in U.S. dollars (USD); or
- Formal notification from a scholarship agency (government, corporation, etc.) stating the availability of funds and the intention to support educational and living expenses for the duration of study at Shepherd University; or
- A statement on letterhead from an employer certifying that you have been granted study leave with salary support.
2. A copy of your passport information page.
3. If you are currently living in the United States, a copy of your U.S. immigration status (visa, approval notices, form I-94, etc.).
All additional documents should be sent to:
|Mailing Address||Shepherd University
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 5000
As a public university, Shepherd requires non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents of West Virginia to pay out-of-state tuition and fees. The amount listed does not include any scholarships and actual costs may vary.
2021-2022 Estimated Undergraduate Cost-of-Attendance for International Students
Books and Supplies $1,000
Room and Board $11,568
Medical Insurance $750
Total $32,792 USD
International students have the opportunity to receive various scholarships, including merit-based, honors/scholars, athletic, departmental, and organizational awards.
Merit scholarships are automatically awarded to new freshmen who have a 3.0 GPA and the equivalent of an 1100 SAT or 22 ACT. Transfer students may be eligible for one of our Dual Admissions/TOPS tuition discount programs.
All international students are required to have medical health insurance coverage.