Main Menu

Student Employment Manual: International Students

The following eligibility requirements must be met by international students in order for them to qualify for on-campus jobs through the Student Employment Program.

Enrollment – Must be enrolled full-time, taking at least twelve (12) undergraduate credit hours or nine (9) graduate credit hours.

Job Type – Not eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS) or other Federal Financial Aid awards; therefore, may work only in departments in REG status jobs (positions paid through departmental funds).

International Credentials – Must possess an I-20 from Shepherd University and an F-1 or J-1 Visa.  Students with a J-1 Visa must obtain permission to work on campus from their educational sponsors.

Social Security Number – Valid Social Security number is required.  International students may obtain a letter from the Student Employment Office verifying their eligibility for employment at Shepherd University, which is needed in order to get a Social Security card.  The letter must be taken in person to the local Social Security Administration Office (in Martinsburg), along with a passport, an I-94 card, and IAP-666 or I-20 from Shepherd University.

Work Hours Limitations – The Federal Government has placed limitations on the number of hours per week that can be worked by international students.  Students studying on an F-1 Visa are permitted to work 20 hours per week while classes are in session and 25 hours per week when classes are not in session.

Special Federal Tax Requirements – If the student’s home country does not have a tax treaty with the United States, then a Federal W-4 form must be completed in the Student Employment Office.  If the home country does have a tax treaty with the United States that exempts international students from tax withholding, then students may elect to complete Form 8233 and not have Federal income taxes withheld from their paychecks.

For the full Student Employment Manual, click here.