Welcome! We are excited that you are considering Shepherd University to continue your education. Shepherd has been repeatedly recognized as one of the best colleges and universities in the southeastern United States. We are confident that our campus community will provide you with an excellent academic and personal experience. Click here to view our graduate programs.
Graduate Application Process
- Complete the Graduate Studies Application for admission.
- Submit $40 nonrefundable application fee.
- Submit academic records for any post-secondary work.
- For coursework completed outside of the United States, applicants must order an official course-by-course evaluation from any current member of NACES. Evaluations must include a statement of degree equivalency.
- Course descriptions may be required for the award of specific credit.
- General policy governing the award of transfer credit:
- Graduate courses from other institutions or other Shepherd University graduate programs will be evaluated, at the time of admission, by the dean and/or the coordinator of the program to which the applicant is applying, or the department chair in which the course is offered.
- Up to nine credit hours may be transferred to a Shepherd graduate program from another institution or program, either prior to starting the program or during the program, at the discretion of the program coordinator in consultation with the department chair and the dean. Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis by the dean if it would inappropriately prolong the graduation of a student.
- Courses transferred to a Shepherd graduate program must have a minimum grade of “B,” and must have been taken within seven years based on the date of admission to the degree program (see sunset clause).
4. Submit one of the following in order to satisfy the English proficiency requirement:
|Exam/Program||SAT||ACT||TOEFL||IELTS||EIKEN||A.C.E. Language Institute’s Intensive English Language Program|
|Minimum Requirement||990 Combined Score and 490 Reading||19 Composite Score and 19 English and Reading||79 iBT, 550 PBT, or 213 CBT||6.5||Grade Pre-1||Successful Completion|
- This requirement may be waived for applicants from the following English speaking countries: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom OR for applicants who have studied full-time for at least one academic year with English as the language of instruction within the past three years.
- If you do not have any standardized test results, we can refer you to our Intensive English Language Program (IELP) for an assessment.
The Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)
Students planning to study under an F-1 student visa status will need an I-20 issued by Shepherd. To be eligible for an I-20, you must be accepted to the University and all of the following must be submitted:
1. Proof of financial support to cover the tuition and living expenses for one academic year (9 months). We estimate this amount to be $29,118 USD. You must provide an Affidavit of Financial Support in addition to:
- Bank statement(s) or other certification(s) from a financial institution of personal funds or approved loan stated in U.S. dollars (USD); or
- Formal notification from a scholarship agency (government, corporation, etc.) stating the availability of funds and the intention to support educational and living expenses for the duration of study at Shepherd University; or
- A statement on letterhead from an employer certifying that you have been granted study leave with salary support.
2. A copy of your passport information page.
3. If you are currently living in the United States, a copy of your U.S. immigration status (visa, approval notices, form I-94, etc.).
All additional documents should be sent to:
|Mailing Address||Shepherd University
P.O. Box 5000
As a public university, Shepherd requires non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents of West Virginia to pay out-of-state tuition and fees. The amount listed does not include any financial aid and actual costs may vary.
2019-2020 Estimated Graduate Cost-of-Attendance for International Students
Books and Supplies $1,250
Room and Board $12,716*
Medical Insurance $750
Total $29,118 USD
* Price based on a single room in Shaw & Thacher Halls and the Flex 15 meal plan. Click here for more details on housing and meal plan options.