Main Menu

International Graduate Admissions

Welcome! We are excited that you are considering Shepherd University to continue your education. Shepherd has been repeatedly recognized as one of the best colleges and universities in the southeastern United States. We are confident that our campus community will provide you with an excellent academic and personal experience. Click here to view our graduate programs.

Navigate to:   Graduate Application Process The Form I-20  |  Costs

Graduate Application Process

  1. Complete the Graduate Studies Application for admission.
  2. Submit $40 nonrefundable application fee.
  3. Submit academic records for any post-secondary work.
    • For coursework completed outside of the United States, applicants must order an official course-by-course evaluation from any current member of NACES.  Evaluations must include a statement of degree equivalency.
    • Course descriptions may be required for the award of specific credit.
    • General policy governing the award of transfer credit:
      • Graduate courses from other institutions or other Shepherd University graduate programs will be evaluated, at the time of admission, by the dean and/or the coordinator of the program to which the applicant is applying, or the department chair in which the course is offered.
      • Up to nine credit hours may be transferred to a Shepherd graduate program from another institution or program, either prior to starting the program or during the program, at the discretion of the program coordinator in consultation with the department chair and the dean. Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis by the dean if it would inappropriately prolong the graduation of a student.
      • Courses transferred to a Shepherd graduate program must have a minimum grade of “B,” and must have been taken within seven years based on the date of admission to the degree program (see sunset clause).
  4. All non-US citizens/permanent residents must provide proof of English language proficiency for admission. Submit official results for one of the following:

Regular Admission allows a student to enroll at Shepherd with no stipulations.

Provisional Admission requires a student to enroll in Shepherd’s IELP courses and one additional course as advised during their first semester at Shepherd. If the student successfully completes those courses, they may then continue as a degree-seeking student at Shepherd.

Proficiency Assessment Regular Admission Provisional Admission
IELTS 6.5 5.5
TOEFL Internet Based 79 67
Duolingo English 105 90
ACT English 19 17
SAT English 490 450
College Credit 2 College level English courses at an accredited U.S.  college or university, with grades of C or higher 1 College level English courses at an accredited U.S.  college or university, with grades of C or higher
GCSE or GCE English Exam Letter grades A, B, or C or numerical grades 4-9
International Baccalaureate Completion of an International Baccalaureate Diploma

*Exceptions: Students from the following English-speaking countries are exempt from providing proof of English language proficiency: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.

The Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)

Students planning to study under an F-1 student visa status will need an I-20 issued by Shepherd.  To be eligible for an I-20, you must be accepted to the University and all of the following must be submitted:

1.  Proof of financial support to cover the tuition and living expenses for one academic year (9 months).  We estimate this amount to be $32,500 USD. You must provide an Affidavit of Financial Support in addition to:

2.  A copy of your passport information page.

3. If you are currently living in the United States, a copy of your U.S. immigration status (visa, approval notices, form I-94, etc.).

All additional documents should be sent to:

Mailing Address Shepherd University
Graduate Studies
P.O. Box 5000
Shepherdstown, WV


As a public university, Shepherd requires non-U.S. citizens/permanent residents of West Virginia to pay out-of-state tuition and fees.  The amount listed does not include any financial aid and actual costs may vary.

2021-2022 Estimated Graduate Cost-of-Attendance for International Students
Tuition                                                             $12,906
Books and Supplies                                       $1,500*
Room and Board                                            $14,844†
Medical Insurance                                         $750**
Personal                                                           $2,500*
Total                                                                 $32,500 USD

*Books, medical insurance, and personal expenses are estimated.
**All international students are required to have medical health insurance coverage.
†Room and board is based on housing in Dunlop or Printz Apartments (single occupancy) and the Gold Plan meal option.  Click here for more details on housing and meal plan options.