What are RAIL evaluations?
- RAIL evaluations are the online version of the paper course evaluations that faculty receive every semester. They are handled through the RAIL system.
Why are Spring 2020 evaluations being moved online?
- Given Shepherd’s transition to distance learning for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester, there will be no opportunity for faculty to administer paper evaluations to their classes in person. Thus, the course evaluation process will be conducted online this semester, so that students may provide feedback.
I thought that only tenured faculty and online-only courses could use RAIL evaluations.
- Given the extraordinary circumstances, which preclude use of the usual in-person, paper-and-pencil process, this policy has been temporarily suspended for Spring 2020 only. RAIL evaluations will be administered for all courses for which evaluations have been requested in Spring 2020.
Will all courses selected for evaluation be evaluated online?
- All courses for which evaluations have been requested, regardless of the format originally requested, will be conducted via RAIL. This includes both courses for which paper evaluations have been requested, as well as courses for which RAIL evaluations were originally requested.
How do RAIL evaluations differ from paper evaluations?
- The evaluation questions remain the same. Only the method of delivery is different.
When will RAIL evaluations be available to students?
- RAIL evaluations will be available to students beginning on Monday, April 6, and will close on Sunday, April 26.
How do students respond to RAIL evaluations?
- Students log into the RAIL system as normal, and then complete their evaluations while logged in. Step-by-step directions for this process are available on the Institutional Research website here.
Will students be notified of the availability of their course evaluations?
- Instructors should contact their students to notify them when their course evaluations are available, and include these directions for accessing and completing their evaluations.
When will results of Spring 2020 evaluations be available to instructors?
- Results of Spring 2020 course evaluations will be returned when they are prepared and ready. Results will not be returned until after Spring 2020 final grades are submitted.
How can I learn more about the course evaluation process?
- More information about the course evaluation process is available at the Institutional Research course evaluation webpage.
Where should I direct my questions about Spring 2020 course evaluations?
- Any questions not answered above can be directed to the Office of Institutional Research at firstname.lastname@example.org .