Main Menu

Information for Transfer Students

We welcome your interest in social work at Shepherd University. A Baccalaureate Social Worker (BSW) is a graduate of a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, holding either a bachelor’s degree in social work or a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree with a major in social work. The undergraduate social work program at Shepherd University offers a comprehensive degree that prepares its graduates for immediate entry into social work positions. In short, baccalaureate social work is the only undergraduate major that educates students to be professional social workers. To ensure professional standards, BSW programs must meet rigorous academic standards to gain and maintain accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). For admission to a BSW program, the competition is rigorous and students must meet formal admissions standards.

If you are interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree in social work and are transferring from another institution, please review Shepherd University’s information for transfer students.

Shepherd University’s Social Work program has 2+2 Community College Transfer Agreements with Blue Ridge Community and Technical College, Lord Fairfax Community College, and Hagerstown Community  College. These programs allow students to complete their associate’s degree and then automatically transfer their credits into a corresponding program at Shepherd University to earn a bachelor’s degree in social work in only two additional years.  If you are currently enrolled in a 2+2 program at one of these institutions or are interested in learning more about 2+2 transfer agreements through these institutions, please review our transfer agreements in the links below.

Blue Ridge Community and Technical College

Associate of Applied Science in Human Services → Bachelor of Social Work

Hagerstown Community College

Associate of Science in Arts and Sciences, Human Services Concentration → Bachelor of Social Work

Lord Fairfax Community College

Associate of Science, Human Services Specialization → Bachelor of Social Work