Good Living – Roommate Request
How to Select a Roommate using Good Living
At the top of Shepherd’s website, click on “Good Living” in the Quick Links section at the top. (see picture below)
You will arrive at Residence Life’s page. Click on the yellow “Good Living Portal” button. (see picture below)
Use your Shepherd University login credentials. Please note: You would use everything before “@rams.shepherd.edu” for you username. (See picture below.)
On the top navigation of the Good Living portal, click “Room/Roommate Selection”. (see picture below)
A drop-down menu should appear. Click “Roommates/Suitemates”. (see picture below)
Select the term that you are applying for housing. After selecting the correct term, click the “Submit” button. (see picture below)
Select from the following options for selecting a roommate:
- Option A) You have a specific roommate you wish to request.
- Option B) You want to select your own roommate, but do not have a specific request.
- Option C) You are willing to accept a random roommate.
Please continue scrolling down to see a step-by-step instruction for each Option.
Option A Step 1: Specific Roommate Request
Type their name into the simple roommate search feature. After typing their name, click “Begin Search”. (see picture below)
Please note: If you roommate does not populate, this means that your requested roommate does not have an application on file.
Please note: You should not type “Oliver Ikenberry”. This is an example only for the purpose of explaining how to use the system.
Option A Step 2:
You will now notice that your roommate request has been saved, but it may say that your requested roommate has not confirmed and accepted your request. (see picture example below)
Please note: You can click the poke or email button to remind the person. Additionally, you can always remove the roommate request if you wish to request a different roommate.
Option A Step 3:
If both of you are in agreement, you will now want your requested roommate to go into their Good Living Portal and accept your request as shown below. Your roommate will login to Good Living, go the room selection tab, and then hit the green button with a check mark to accept. (see picture below.)
Option A Final Step:
After accepting roommate requests, all parties should be able to login and see that their roommate group is fully matched as shown below.
Option B Step 1: Selecting a roommate based on criteria
You want to request someone based on criteria such as major, lifestyle, etc. Scroll down and use the “Advanced Roommate Search” feature. Select any and all criteria that is important to you. (see picture below)
Option B Step 2:
After selecting the criteria, a list of who students who met the criteria you selected will appear. (see picture below.)
Option B Final Step:
- If you find someone who meets your desired criteria, click “Request This Student.”
- The student will receive the request and then can view your profile and either accept or decline.
- If the requested student has not responded to your request, login to Good Living at a later time to remind the student to accept or decline your request.
Option C: No Roommate Preference
- If you do not want to select a roommate, we can find one for you or someone may select to be in your room.
- You will participate in room selection and understand that you will have a random roommate. A student may join your room or a Residence Life may place a student in the room.
If You Have Any Questions, Contact:
Residence Life Office
Miller Hall, Lower Level
Office Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (Monday-Friday)