NASA WV SGC
The NASA West Virginia Space Grant Consortium sponsors many summer internships. Visit NASA WV SGC current opportunities. In particular…
- Shepherd students should apply every September for a NASA WV SGC Fellowship. Undergraduate fellows receive a $5,000 stipend for one year of assisting faculty with research and teaching. Former Shepherd fellows performed research in machine learning, virtual reality, databases, and programming. The 2023 due date is Mar 8 (with faculty advisor evaluations due 5pm Mar 10). Apply here. US Citizens only. Students should speak to faculty.
- NASA Gateways to Blue Skies. Official Details. Usually, Notice of Intent (NOI) due in October, Q&A Session in November, Submission deadline in March, Team Notification in April, Blue Skies Forum in June at NASA’s Langley Research Center.
The College supports about a dozen student research assistants every summer. All students are invited to submit applications for this competitive program. Applications are due each Feb. The selected applicants receive a $4000 stipend for participating in a summer research project led by a CSTEM faculty member. Interested students should talk to a CSTEM faculty member.
CIS Abroad: “No matter your major, we’ve got a semester abroad program for you. CIS Abroad partners with accredited universities that offer innovative courses to help you meet your academic goals.”
Exchange Student Opportunity
How about studying data science in Switzerland? Shepherd University is in the process of entering into an exchange agreement with The Zurich University of Applied Science. Check out this brochure and the university website for more details. If you are interested in this opportunity for Spring 2022 or beyond, email Dr. Samuel Greene, Assistant Professor of Political Science, for more details.
The National Science Foundation (NSF) funds Research Eduction for Undergraduates (REU) programs such as the following…
- The WVU robotics program is funded by an NSF REU grant. Students earn a stipend of $6,000 ($600/week for 10-weeks), lodging, meal expenses, and travel reimbursement. The application deadlines are usually in January and March.
- Tennessee Tech REU in cyber privacy issues.
- Cancer Institute Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Chemistry REU
- Behavioral Science REU
- Astrophysics REU Site
- Summer Undergraduate Vision Research Fellowship
- WV-INBRE Summer Research Program has summer research positions for students and teachers. In some cases, the stipend is $6000. Applications are usually due in February.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) at WVU: Applications are accepted October through March. This is a paid, 8-week, full-time immersive research opportunity with a WVU faculty research mentor. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with finding a faculty research mentor.
- Summer Bioinformatics Bootcamp at Marshall University offers food, housing, and $1600 stipend. Students submit Python jobs to a supercomputer. Applications due by April 2023.
Oak Ridge National Labs in Tennessee hosts a Pathways to Computing summer internship in computing. Applications are typically due in March.
University of Maryland Baltimore County hosts an 8-week internship on big data funded by an NSF REU grant 2021-2023. Applications are requested by 15 April.
West Virginia Science Public Outreach Team (WV SPOT) trains college students to bring science, technology, and engineering to K-12 classrooms. Trained students get paid for presentations. Sponsored by NASA and the Green Bank Observatory in WV.
IBM sponsors Call for Code. Teams of university students from around the world will benefit from IBM mentors as they compete for prize money. Sep 30 – Nov 11, 2021. Shepherd students 18 or older (on submission day) are eligible.