Main Menu


Policies: Governing Student Status

Academic Advising  |  Academic Probation  |  Progression  |  Sunset Clause
Suspension/Dismissal  |  Appeals of Student Status  |  Transfer of Credit

Graduate Student Status and Academic Load:
Full-Time Students | Maximum Load
Maximum Load, Summer Session | Dropping and Adding Courses

Leave of Absence | Withdrawal from the University | Readmission
Change in Degree- Transferring from one graduate program to another

Academic Dishonesty | Grading System | Summary of Withdrawal Dates
FERPA | Graduate Student Code of Conduct

Academic Advising

The first point of contact for graduate studies advising is the Graduate Program Coordinator. Each graduate program may have specific graduate faculty advisors as well for specific content areas. If students need additional advising and the Graduate Faculty Advisor or graduate Program Coordinator is not available, the student can contact the School of Graduate and Professional Studies for advising.

Academic Probation

When a graduate student’s cumulative grade point average falls below 3.0, the student will be placed on probation. Students on probation must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 during the first six credit hours of their probationary status and must return their cumulative graduate GPA to 3.0 during the first 12 hours of their probationary status. Students who do not meet these criteria will be dismissed.


All graduate students are expected to complete their degrees in an appropriate time and manner. All incompletes must be completed by the next respective fall or spring semester (i.e., incompletes in fall must be complete the following spring semester, incompletes in spring must be complete in the following fall semester. Incompletes in the summer must be complete by the following fall semester).

Graduate students in good academic standing who must discontinue their studies for a brief time will be considered eligible to re-enroll in future semesters, as long as they return after an absence of no more than two consecutive regular semesters (not including summer sessions). Graduate students who are suspended (see suspension/dismissal policy,) or who are absent from studies for more than two consecutive regular semesters (not including summer sessions) must re-apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions. Graduate students wishing to return after a brief absence, and who do not need to re-apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions, should contact their Graduate Program Coordinator for advisement.

Sunset Clause

Students enrolled in graduate studies at Shepherd University must complete the program within seven years, based on the date of admission to the degree program. Students may apply for renewal by submitting a letter to the Graduate Council with justification for continued studies in the program. Note: The D.N.P. program has other stipulations for currency of knowledge related to transfer of credit and completion of the program. Please consult the D.N.P. handbook for more information.


A student on probation will be dismissed when

Once a student is dismissed from a graduate program, the student may not enroll in any other graduate program at Shepherd University without explicit permission from the Graduate Council.

Appeals of Student Status

Students placed on provisional status, probation, or suspension may appeal that status to the Graduate Council by writing a letter outlining the rationale for the appeal. Appeals denied by the Graduate Council may be appealed to the Provost. The Provost will only consider appeals that deal with substantial procedural errors in the decision of the Graduate Council.

Transfer of Credit

Graduate courses from other institutions or other Shepherd University graduate programs will be evaluated, at the time of admission, by the College Dean and the Graduate Program Coordinator of the program to which the applicant is applying.


Graduate Student Status and Academic Load

Full-Time Students

Graduate students registered for 9 or more credits are classified as full-time students. Students holding assistantship appointments must register for a minimum of 5 credits each semester to qualify for financial aid.

Maximum Load

The maximum graduate load allowed is 16 credits during the fall or spring semester. Only under unusual circumstances will a student be allowed to exceed these limits, and then only with the recommendation of the student’s advisor, Graduate Program Coordinator, and the approval of the College Dean to which the student’s program is housed.

Maximum Load, Summer Session

The maximum graduate load allowed is 10 credits for the entire summer session. A student will be allowed to exceed this limit only by petition with the recommendation of the student’s advisor, Graduate Program Coordinator, and the approval of the College Dean.

Dropping and Adding Courses

Graduate students may add or drop courses in accordance with the procedures and deadlines published by the Registrar’s Office.



Leave of Absence

Students who, because of extenuating circumstances, are unable to pursue their graduate program may request a leave of absence for a maximum of one calendar year. Such circumstances may include medical reasons, military obligation, family emergencies, or hardship. Students should send a letter to the College Dean, advisor, and Graduate Program Coordinator requesting a leave of absence. The Dean, upon recommendation of the student’s advisor and Graduate Program Coordinator, will review the request. If the request for a leave is granted, the time limit for completion of the student’s program will be extended appropriately.

Withdrawal from the University

A student may withdraw from their graduate program during any semester by obtaining a withdrawal form. This form should be signed by the student’s advisor. Students who formally withdraw are required to apply for readmission if they subsequently desire to resume their academic program. Students are not guaranteed readmission and may be evaluated in competition with current applicants to the program.


Students who withdraw, take a leave of absence or do not enroll for a full academic year or more, and desire to resume their academic program, are required to apply for readmission. The admission application may be found here.

Students are not guaranteed readmission and may be evaluated in competition with current applicants to the program. Students in the D.N.P. program must complete a letter addressed to the GSCE dean and D.N.P. program director outlining a case for readmission to the program.

Change in Degree: Transferring from one graduate program to another

Students who wish to pursue a degree program other than the one for which admission was originally granted must meet the admissions criteria and complete the appropriate application for the new degree program. Student must also complete an Academic Change form. The Graduate Coordinator and Office of the Registrar will notify the student of the decision after consulting with the appropriate Graduate Program Coordinator.

Students in the D.N.P. program must complete a letter addressed to the GSCE dean and D.N.P. program director outlining a case for a change of track or concentration.


Academic Dishonesty

Academic dishonesty in all its forms, including plagiarism on written or visual work, is considered an academic matter to be controlled and acted upon by the individual faculty member.

Students guilty of academic dishonesty on examinations in any course shall receive, as a minimum penalty, a grade of F in that course. Such action shall be taken by the instructor, with written notification to the provost. Repeated offenses shall subject the student to suspension or dismissal from the university. Students involved in facilitating academic dishonesty among others, such as by the unauthorized dissemination of examination materials, will be subject to disciplinary action beyond that called for by their own academic dishonesty in a course.

Plagiarism is “the act of stealing and using as one’s own the ideas or the expression of the ideas of another.” Whether that other is another student or a published author, plagiarism is cheating.

Guidelines and policies affecting dishonesty and most other aspects of student life may be found in the Shepherd University Student Handbook.

Graduate Grading System

Grade Explanation Point Value per
Semester Hour
A Superior 4
B Acceptable 3
C Minimum grade accepted for credit in graduate programs 2
D Unacceptable; credit not accepted toward graduation 1
F Failure; credit not accepted toward graduation 0
IF Irregular withdrawal 0
I Incomplete, must be completed by date specified on the grade of incomplete form** *
PR In-Progress coursework (DNP – Project/Practicum)*** *
W Withdraw without grade point penalty *
S Satisfactory, translates to B work minimally. (EDPD courses only) *
I/S Incomplete at date for grade submissions per the Academic Calendar, but satisfactory work when course was completed (EDPD courses only) *
U Unsatisfactory (EDPD courses only) *

*Not used in computation of grade point average
** Incomplete grades must be made up within one semester or the grade of I becomes a grade of I/F (or I/U for EDPD courses).
***Once a project/practicum has begun, a DNP student registers for the appropriate credit each semester until complete.  The grade of PR is assigned at the end of each semester while the project/practicum is in-progress; when project/practicum is completed, the instructor assigns a final grade, which will replace the PR grades in previous semesters as well.

NOTE: Repeat-Course Forgiveness policies are restricted to undergraduates and undergraduate coursework only, and do not apply to coursework at the graduate level.  Grades and grade point values for all repeated graduate coursework remain in the record and are included in the calculation of GPAs at the graduate level.

Summary of Withdrawal Dates

Action: Dropping a class.
Form required: None–drop course on RAIL
Date: First five class days.
Resulting Grade: Dropped course does not appear on the transcript.

Action: Withdrawing from a class.
Form required: Course Withdrawal Slip–obtain from advisor
Date: Sixth class day through Friday of the 12th week of classes.
Resulting Grade: W.

Action: Complete withdrawal from the university.
Form required: Semester Withdrawal Form–obtain from Registrar
Date: From the sixth class day through the last class day of the semester.
Resulting Grade: W

The withdrawal procedure is incomplete until all necessary signatures have been secured and the appropriate forms returned to the Office of the Registrar  and the Office of Graduate Studies by the specified time stated in the current academic year calendar.

Any counseling provided to a student from any employee of the university that is at a variance with established university policies must be confirmed by the provost. Although a student may receive advice from any agent of the university, the final responsibility for a decision concerning withdrawal rests with the student, in consultation with the course instructor, and in accordance with university policies.


Please click here for information on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Graduate Student Code of Conduct

The student code of conduct was enacted primarily to set forth in a clear and concise manner the rules and regulations expected of those who join the university campus and/or participate in any university-sponsored activity. Keeping the core missions of the university in mind, the code is

All graduate students are subject to the provisions of the Shepherd University Guidelines and Policies as outlined in the Shepherd University Student Handbook. The handbook includes sections on academic code of conduct, community expectations, and the judicial process. Copies of the handbook are available from the Student Affairs Office in the Student Center. Guidelines and policies are also available here.