Main Menu

FAQ for Students

How do I find what jobs are available?

That’s easy! Click here to see a current listing of all the student jobs available.  The job open date is when the position was posted for applicants to apply.  Supervisors post for positions early to give busy students time to apply for jobs the following semester.

How soon/when can I start working?

Students must complete New Hire documents and be approved by the state before starting any position. Once selected for hire, a supervisor will complete a hirimg proposal which prompts the Student Employment Coordinator to email you to schedule an appointment to complete New Hire documents. You will be required to bring identification and banking information with you to the appointment. You can find more information regarding New Hire documents here or by clicking the left link titled “New Hire Paperwork”.

Is a photocopy of my identification acceptable for the I9 form?

No, you may not use a photocopy of your identification. All documents must be unexpired, originals per federal government regulations.

       1. What form of identification is acceptable for the I9?

       2. What if I can’t find my birth certificate or social security card?

What do I need to set up my direct deposit?

You must provide documentation with your banking account information. You may use a voided check, a letter from your bank, or your bank’s direct deposit enrollment from (likely available on your banking app or website) that includes your name, bank name, routing number, and account number.

       1. What if I want to change banks?

       2. When will I be able to start working and when will I be paid?

What is Federal Work Study and how do I get it?

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally funded work program that is awarded based on the student’s estimated family contribution and other qualifying factors from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If eligible, your financial aid pacakge will allow you to accept/decline your FWS award amount. If you do not see FWS awarded, please contact the Office of Financial Aid to have a counselor review your FAFSA information.

Can I work on campus if I don’t have FWS?

Yes! There are many departments on campus that do not require FWS in order for you to work for them.  These positions are known as regular student employment.  When applying for jobs, be sure you look at the appropriate position status that best fits you.

What do I put on the application as work experience if I have never worked before?

Even if you have never held a formal job, you still have life experience that’s applicable to the job search. Take a look at your volunteer work, civic groups, and youth organizations that you have been involved in whether at school, church, or community.  You can also include school achievements, special skills, and assets.

Who do I include as a reference on my job application?

The best references are individuals who can judge your abilities and articulate them to prospective employers. This may include recent supervisors, former co-workers, professors/coaches, or professional friends.  It is not recommended to list a family member as a reference.

Can I have more than one job on campus?

Students are permitted to have more than one job however; they may not work over 25 hours per week between all their jobs. By federal law, international student employees may only work a maximum of 20 hours per week.  It is the student’s responsibility to communicate to their supervisors how many jobs and hours they are working on campus.

What are the benefits of working at an on-campus job versus an off-campus job?

An on-campus supervisor understands that the primary reason you are at Shepherd University is to get an education. On-campus supervisors will adjust your work schedule every semester to accommodate your new class schedule. Another important benefit to working on campus is that FICA (Social Security & Medicare) taxes are not withheld from your paycheck. As such, you receive about 6.2% more of your total gross earnings than you would in an off-campus position.