Main Menu

Filing A Complaint

Any member of the University community may file (and is responsible for filing) a complaint against an individual who allegedly violates the rights of another person or a Shepherd University regulation or policy (see the Student Handbook for more detailed information).

Shepherd University strongly supports the vigorous prosecution in the State courts of any person who commits a felony within the jurisdiction of the University. Students who are victims of felonies are strongly encouraged to file such complaints with the West Virginia State Police, as well as with the University. Whenever a written complaint is presented to a university police officer or Student Affairs, the State Police will be notified of any alleged felony if they have not been previously notified. Notification will include the offense alleged and the name of the alleged perpetrator but disclosure of the victim’s identity will be at the election of the student victim, unless disclosure by a University official is legally compelled.

I. Students who are victims of a crime or persons wishing to report a crime, should contact the Shepherd University Police by calling 911 for emergencies or 304-876-5202 for non-emergencies.  The Shepherd University Police Department is located in Moler Hall.

II. Students who wish to report a violation of a campus policy or wish to file a complaint against another student should contact Jake Mellow, Dean of Students, at or 304-876-5307, a Residence Life Professional at 304-876-5172 by calling a Resident Assistant Duty Phone listed throughout each residence hall, or to a campus administrator.

III. Students who are victims of sexual assault and/or sexual harassment may report a concern to Annie Lewin at or by calling 304-876-5041.  (see section on More information on Sexual Assault and Harassment, and Sexual Assault in the Student Handbook.)

Students may use the Sexual Misconduct: Title IX Reporting Form to report instances of Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, Interpersonal Violence, and Stalking.

Support for Complainants and Respondents

For all Student Conduct and Title IX resolutions, individuals may have a designated support person or advisor of choice.  Complainant and Respondent support individuals may be of support before, during, and after the Student Conduct Hearing Board Process or Title IX resolution process.  Support individuals may be of assistance in advising about the process, assisting with documentation, presence during any meeting, preliminary, documentation, and hearing boards, and to provide general support throughout the process.  Although individuals are present to provide support throughout all processes, support individuals are not authorized to speak directly to hearing board members or Student Conduct Officers, but may privately advise during the process.

Support individuals may be chosen by complainants and respondents or assigned from a designated group of individuals at Shepherd.  Support individuals are not required, but are highly encouraged and available to all complainants and respondents at no cost.  Complainant and Respondent support individuals are trained to meet the needs and be a resource to students involved in Student Conduct Hearing Boards or Title IX resolutions.  If you are involved in the Student Conduct Hearing Board  or Title IX resolution process and would like to be connected with a Support individual, please contact the Dean of Students, Jake Mellow at or the Director for Social Equity, Inclusion, and Title IX, Annie Lewin at