The Diversity and Equity Committee is appointed by Shepherd’s President and consists of members drawn from the administrative staff, faculty, classified employees, community and student body. The chair is elected for 2020-2021 is Dr. Chiquita Howard-Bostic.
The Diversity and Equity Committee will report to Administrative Council on the following tasks:
- To review the current hiring practices of the University and recruitment and retention of
minority populations and underrepresented faculty, staff, and students;
- To recommend policies and strategies to increase and retain the number of minority
populations and underrepresented administrators, faculty, staff, and students;
- To recommend measures to facilitate a supportive university environment for all community
members and internal and external stakeholders;
- To identify off-campus outreach efforts that will significantly impact the lives and
opportunities of minority populations and underrepresented students, faculty,
staff, and community members in the University’s service area;
- To educate the University community on issues of diversity and social justice;
- To actively support (and/or sponsor as able) other University organizations’ efforts to
educate the University community on issues of diversity and social justice; and
- To serve as a body which will periodically review progress in reaching the above stated
objectives and make recommendations for prompt, remedial action.