Please contact email@example.com or call (304) 876-5317 to schedule a CLEP test.
While Shepherd University does offer and administer all available CLEP tests, follow this link to determine which tests will award credit for classes at Shepherd University: CLEP tests.
For information regarding how scores are calculated, ACE-recommended-credit-granting scores for each exam, as well as information regarding CLEP’s retest policy, click here.
To see what your score means and other information about how scores are calculated, click here.
Who can take CLEP (College Level Examination Program) at Shepherd University?
Shepherd University is an open test center and anyone interested in obtaining CLEP credits may test through our center. Students enrolled at other institutions should check with the institution receiving their CLEP scores about that institution’s credit-granting policy. Students who have taken CLEP examinations prior to enrollment at Shepherd University must submit an official CLEP transcript to the Registrar’s Office.
What is the cost?
There is a $20.00 non-refundable registration fee, per exam, paid when you register and $89.00 per exam paid to CLEP (on-line) prior to the day you take the exam. Testing is offered year-round. See the Schedule for current test dates.
Each registration fee permits 2 rescheduled test dates. A registration form and fee become invalid if a student: a) reschedules more than twice; b) reschedules less than 7 days prior to their test date except in case of documented emergencies; c) does not attend their test. In this case a new registration form and registration fee payment is needed in order to reschedule their exam.
How do I register to take an exam?
- Complete the Registration Form (also available in the Advising Assistance Center)
- Submit a $20.00 non-refundable registration fee to the Cashier’s Office (2nd Floor, Ikenberry Hall)
- Return the Registration Form and the receipt of the registration fee from the Cashier’s Office to the Advising Assistance Center.
- Create an account with CLEP at clep.collegeboard.org.
- Select and pay for your desired exam. Be sure to indicate the appropriate institution to receive your scores (Shepherd University, if you are a Shepherd student).
- Print the Registration Ticket after payment and provide that to the testing center on your testing day.
- Students who wish to reschedule their test date must reschedule at least 7 days prior to their test date. Each registration fee permits 2 rescheduled test dates. A registration form and fee become invalid if a student: a) reschedules more than twice; b) reschedules less than 7 days prior to their test date (except in case of documented emergencies); c) does not attend their test. A new registration form and registration fee payment is needed in order to reschedule their exam if the registration form and fee become invalid.
What are the exams like?
CLEP exams require college-level knowledge and critical thinking ability; sufficient preparation is required to do well. All CLEP exams are administered on a computer. The exams are timed and most are limited to 90 minutes.
How will I know if I passed?
All examinations except College Composition with Essay will receive their unofficial score immediately upon completing the test. A copy of the official score report will be sent to the student and the Registrars Office.
How is credit awarded?
Answers are uploaded to CLEP in New Jersey. CLEP scores the exam and sends the official results to you and the Registrar’s Office in approximately three weeks. The College Composition with Essay exam may take up to six weeks to receive scores. Examinees earning the minimum score or higher will receive credit on their transcript. The transcript will note credit received through CLEP, and examinees will not receive a letter grade. Therefore, CLEP credit will have no effect on an individual’s GPA. The Registrar’s Office will notify examinees whether or not they will accept the scores for credit.
How can I prepare to take a CLEP exam?
See the College Board website for information on how to prepare for your CLEP exam: https://clep.collegeboard.org/prepare-for-an-exam.
- You must bring a valid, government-issued ID, with a signature and picture, to the test center in order to take a CLEP exam. Acceptable forms of ID include, but are not limited to: a driver’s license, a passport, a military ID, a state-issued ID with signature and photo, or a Permanent Resident card.
- Cell phones, calculators, beepers, alarm watches, books, papers, food and drink, etc. are not allowed on the testing room.
- A calculator is provided if your exam requires you use one.
- Candidates with disabilities who require accommodations must make arrangements at least two weeks in advance of the test date.
- Examinations may not be repeated within three months of the testing date. Scores on tests repeated during this waiting period will be cancelled and test fees forfeited.
Click on the following link to view the available CLEP tests: CLEP tests