The George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War houses a small museum collection of Civil War artifacts. We’re also pleased to offer rotating exhibit panels on loan from the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.
A few items from our museum collection:
New Testament and Psalms presented “To Mrs. Elizabeth Shindler from her affectionate pastor, C. W. Andrews, Nov: 1842”. Elizabeth was Conrad Shindler’s wife. The Reverend C. W. Andrews, D.D., was pastor of Trinity Episcopal Church from 1842 until his death in 1875. Gift of Mary Tyler Moore.
New Testament and Psalms spine.
Chess set owned by Corporal Edward Saladin, Company A, 2nd West Virginia Mounted Infantry. Enlisted May 21, 1861 at Wheeling, WV. Promoted to Corporal April 1, 1862. Captured at Seneca Trace Crossing of Cheat River in Randolph County, WV, September 25, 1863. died of Scurvy in Andersonville Prison Hospital, GA, September 25, 1864. Buried in Andersonville National Cemetery, GA. Chess Set donated by David Dawson.
Close-up of Saladin chess set pieces.
Boot pistol carried during the Civil War by surgeon Charles Thacher, 14th WV Infantry, beneath a copy of an image of Charles Thacher. Donated by Ruth Thacher, daughter-in-law of Charles Thacher.
Twelve pound solid shot. from Chambers/Murphy Farm, Harpers Ferry, WV. Donated by Jim Kuhn.
Assemblage of artifacts found in the Shindler House garden. Items include (clockwise from left) ceramic sherds of varying styles and ages, a 2-hole Prosser style button, kaolin pipe stems and small pipe bowl, machine cut nails, chicken and pig bones, anthracite coal, and an oyster shell.
Parole paper for Private John C. Licklider (also spelled Leicklider), 12th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry, dated April 18, 1865.