Haley Albright, PhD
Dr. Albright was raised in Manitowoc, WI. As an undergraduate at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, she performed research with Dr. Robert C. West in the area of organometallic chemistry. She then received her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, where she worked with Dr. Corinna Schindler on the development of methodologies for Lewis Acid-catalyzed carbonyl-olefin metathesis reactions. Prior to beginning at Shepherd, Dr. Albright lectured at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, teaching organic chemistry and general chemistry courses. Since starting at Shepherd in 2021, she has joined a number of committees and is also involved in a variety of campus outreach. She is a member of the Seeding Your Future Initiative, which holds an annual conference hosted by Shepherd’s science and art faculty to help engage middle-school aged girls through hands-on workshops and also plans regular STEM workshops for middle-school and high-school aged students.
Dr. Albright is currently performing research in three areas with the undergraduate students at Shepherd University working towards the completion of their capstone projects. The first area is in total synthesis, specifically a family of diterpenoid natural products (euphoractines T-W) that show strong anti-CHIKV activity. The second are of research is focused on the development of a method for the formation of cyclic alcohols and the third is in the area of chemical education, in particular the development of new undergraduate introductory organic laboratory experiments.
CHEM 207/207L, CHEM 315/315L, CHEM 316/316L
- Albright, H., Stephenson, C.R.J., Schindler, C.S. “Converting a Two-Week Chemistry Course for High School Students to a Virtual Format During COVID” J. Chem. Educ. 2021, 98, 2457-2464.
- Albright, H., Stephenson, C.R.J., Schindler, C.S. “Design of a Two-Week Organic Chemistry Course for High School Students: “Catalysis, Solar Energy, and Green Chemical Synthesis” ” J. Chem. Educ. 2021, 98, 2449-2456.
- Albright, H., Davis, A.J., Gomez-Lopez, J.L., Vonesh, H.L., Quach, P.K., Lambert, T.H., Schindler, C.S. “Carbonyl-Olefin Metathesis.” Chem. Rev. 2021, 121, 9359-9406.
- Albright, H., Vonesh, H.L., Schindler, C.S. “Superelectrophilic Fe(III)-Ion Pairs as Stronger Lewis Acid Catalysts for (E)-Selective Intermolecular Carbonyl-Olefin Metathesis.” Org. Lett. 2020, 22, 3155–3160.
- Albright, H., Riehl, P.S., McAtee, C.C., Reid, J.P., Ludwig, J.R., Karp, L.A., Zimmerman, P.M., Sigman, M.S., Schindler, C.S. “Catalytic Carbonyl-Olefin Metathesis of Aliphatic Ketones: Iron(III) Homo-Dimers as Lewis Acidic Superelectrophiles.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 1690-1700.
- Albright, H., Vonesh, H.L., Becker, M.B., Alexander, B.W., Ludwig, J.R., Wiscons, R.A., Schindler, C.S. “GaCl3-Catalyzed Ring-Opening Carbonyl–Olefin Metathesis.” Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 4954-4958.