Reduce your risk of having a problem with alcohol and other drugs by being informed and making responsible decisions around substances.
A simple way of determining whether there may be a problem, is the CAGE Assessment. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your substance use?
- Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your substance use?
- Have you ever felt Guilty about substance use?
- Have you ever felt you needed to use first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you may be experiencing a substance use problem.
- Binge Drinking
- Blackouts in College Students
- Reducing Your Risks
- Standard Drinks Chart
- Addiction in Women
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome & Effects
- Prescription Drug Abuse
- Adderall Abuse
Tobacco & Nicotine
The following tobacco cessation resources are available to those who want to seek assistance:
- Shepherd University Health Center’s smoking cessation classes; call 304-876-5161. This service is available to employees as well as students.
- West Virginia Tobacco Quitline: Call 800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669)
- Smartphone apps:
- MyQuit Coach
- Quit Now
- Quit Tracker
- Cessation Nation
- Texting apps:
- Text QUIT to 47848
- Text VET to 47848 (for veterans)
- Text SPIT to 333888 (for dip)
- Text DITCHJUUL to 88709
- When Smokers Quit