Welcome! We are very excited that you are considering applying to Shepherd University. The University welcomes students from around the world for degree study and for study while on exchange from a home university. Students who have completed secondary school education (high school) in good standing are eligible to apply for admission. Similarly, students who have attended post-secondary education (college or university) are eligible to apply for admission. Shepherd offers rolling admissions but international students are encouraged to apply early to ensure plenty of time to plan your arrival.
1. Complete the online application.
2. Submit your academic records:
a). For education completed outside of the United States, send us an official course-by-course academic credential evaluation of your secondary (high school) and all post-secondary (college or university) studies from one of the approved services.
b). For education completed inside the United States, send us official transcripts from secondary (high school) and each post-secondary schools (college or university) previously attended.
3. Submit one of the following in order to satisfy the English proficiency requirement:
- SAT: minimum combined score of 950 and at least 450 on the reading section
- ACT: minimum composite score of 19 and at least 19 on English and Reading Sections.
- TOEFL: minimum score of 79 iBT, 550 PBT or 213 CBT
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.5
- EIKEN: minimum score of Grade Pre-1
- Proof of successful completion of A.C.E. Language Institutes’ Intensive English Language Program
- Proof of successful completion of an ESL program approved by Shepherd University
*Note: The English proficiency requirement may be waived if:
A.) The applicant is a national of one of Shepherd University’s approved English speaking nations: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom OR
B.) The applicant has studied full-time for at least one academic year with English as the language of instruction within the past three years
The Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)
Students planning to study under an F-1 student visa status will need an I-20 issued by Shepherd. To be eligible for an I-20, you must be accepted to the University and all of the following must be submitted:
1. Proof of financial support to cover the tuition and living expenses for one academic year (9 months). We estimate this amount to be $32,312 USD. You must provide an Affidavit of Financial Support in addition to:
- Bank statement(s) or other certification(s) from a financial institution of personal funds or approved loan stated in U.S. dollars (USD); or
- Formal notification from a scholarship agency (government, corporation, etc.) stating the availability of funds and the intention to support educational and living expenses for the duration of study at Shepherd University; or
- A statement on letterhead from an employer certifying that you have been granted study leave with salary support.
2. A copy of your passport information page.
3. If you are currently living in the United States, a copy of your current U.S. immigration status (visa, approval notices, form I-94, etc.).
All additional documents should be sent to:
|Mailing Address||Shepherd University
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 5000
2019-2020 Estimated Cost-of-Attendance for an Undergraduate Degree-Seeking International Student (*actual costs may vary slightly)
As a public university, Shepherd University requires non-residents of West Virginia to pay out-of-state tuition and fees. Limited financial aid is available.
Books and Supplies $1,000
Room and Board $11,088
Medical Insurance $750
Total $32,312 USD
International students have the opportunity to receive many types of scholarships, including merit-based, honors/scholars, athletic, departmental, and organizational awards.
Merit scholarships are automatically awarded to new freshmen who have a 3.0 GPA and the equivalent of an 1100 SAT or 22 ACT. Transfer students may be eligible for one of our Dual Admissions/TOPS tuition discount programs.
All international students are required to have medical health insurance coverage.