Our music degrees, your campus life, and your future
What we offer
We offer three degrees: a Bachelor of Music (B. M.) in Performance with instrumental, vocal, piano, and jazz emphases, a Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.) with vocal and instrumental emphases, and a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music with concentrations in Composition and General Music.
In the School of Music, our mission is to empower student growth creatively, artistically, and professionally in order to develop versatile musicians, innovative practitioners, critical thinkers, and leaders who engage communities.
We achieve this through a highly personalized and student-centered approach that provides a diverse range of musical and educational experiences. Our goals are:
- To prepare students for careers in music;
- To foster student inquiry and self-discovery;
- To cultivate music making that generates powerful and transformative artistic experiences;
- To build community and engage communities;
- To develop a holistic understanding of musical experience in a global context;
- To promote the vision and reach of the College of the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences and the university through artistic activity.
Academic Life at Shepherd University
- A perfect location amid history, culture, and the great outdoors. We’re just an hour from Washington, D.C., and Baltimore.
- Small classes and personal attention, with more than 75 academic programs from which to choose.
- Dedicated teachers and mentors who open opportunities for you in research, study abroad, internship, and independent projects.
- A close-knit, comfortable community that challenges you to stretch yourself in leadership and service.
- A tradition of championship athletics and intense school spirit, with plenty of space to unwind and recharge.
- A world of experience that will open unexpected opportunities and unlimited possibilities for your future.