Frequently Asked Questions
What are my Shepherd ID, PIN, Username and Password? How and where do I use them?
- Your Shepherd ID is your student ID number: the nine digit number printed on the back of your Rambler card.
- Your PIN is used with your Shepherd ID to log into the RAIL system.
- Your Username and Password are accessible in RAIL, but are separate from your RAIL login information. Your Username and Password are used to log into campus lab computers, your email account, Sakai and all other computer resources.
- For a more comprehensive explanation, please go to Shepherd ID, PIN, Username and Password.
If I give you my Shepherd ID and PIN, can you give me my password?
Do not give anyone your PIN. Only you should know it and no one should ask you for it. Only you can look up your original password. Here are the steps:
- Log into RAIL by entering your Shepherd ID and PIN.
- Click on Personal Information.
- Click on Password Management.
- Click on Retrieve Original Password. NOTE: You cannot look up a changed password, only the original one
- Log out of RAIL.
How do I log into my Shepherd Web Mail?
- Type http://portal.microsoftonline.com/ in the address bar of your web browser, or go to the Shepherd home page navigation bar and click either on Email in the Quick Links at the top or on the menu which fits your status (Current Students or Faculty & Staff) and then click on E-Mail in the drop-down menu.
- Enter your Username followed by @rams.shepherd.edu and click on the Next button.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to enter your Password. Enter your password and click on Sign In.
** Note: Your password is your Sakai/computer account password set in RAIL, either the initial password created when your Sakai/computer account was created or the one you set it to in RAIL. Instructions for changing your password are in the Important information about your email account / password section below. **
- You will be asked on the next screen whether you want to Stay signed in? Choose the option you prefer.
- To view Email, select the Mail icon.
- For more features, including how to set up your Shepherd email on your smartphone, click here.
- When finished viewing, click on Log Off in the upper right hand corner.
How do I change my computer/email/Sakai password (not my RAIL PIN)?
- Log into the RAIL system by selecting it at the top of the Shepherd web page in the Quick Links section. The Shepherd web page is located at http://www.shepherd.edu
- On the RAIL screen, click the Login To RAIL button.
- Enter your Shepherd ID (last nine digits of your Rambler card number and it can be found on the back of the Rambler card) and your PIN which goes with your Shepherd ID.
- Once in RAIL, click on Personal Information.
- Click on Password Management.
- Click on Change Password.
- Enter a new password of at least six characters but no more than eight characters. It can be upper case letters, lower case letters and numbers, but no special characters such as !, & or any others which are not letters or numbers.
- After you have changed your password, log out of the RAIL system and wait at least ten minutes before trying to use this new password.
I am a student living in a residence hall. How do I register my devices?
This depends on the device you want to connect to the network.
- Laptops, tablets, iPods, iPads, and smartphones may be registered by you. Go to our web page about how to connect to the Wi-Fi network and register your device(s) located at http://www.shepherd.edu/wifistudents/.
- Desktop computers used in residence hall rooms must be registered also. Please connect your computer to a network wall jack using an Ethernet cable. After you connect the Ethernet cable between your computer’s Ethernet card and the wall jack, go into a browser. Try surfing to any web site and our Registration page should come up. Select the top option for those with a Shepherd account, then enter your Shepherd username and password like you use for Sakai. (NOTE: It is not your full email address and email password.) Run the Bradford Dissolvable agent if using Internet Explorer, or do a Save and then Run if using another browser. Once it completes successfully, you should be able to connect to the Internet.
- If you want to use a device in your residence hall room which is not one of the ones above; such as a game console, Roku, SmartTV, etc.; you may do so. Please go to this web page http://www.shepherd.edu/rhdeviceregistration. It explains what you need to know to connect these devices and how to register them.
If you need any assistance, please contact the IT Services Desk. You may call them at 304-876-5457 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last updated April 21, 2017