Student Teaching Eligibility
To be eligible for review for admission to student teaching, the student must:
- Have passed Juncture 2 Review;
- Have full status in the Teacher Education Program;
- Have made satisfactory progress in portfolio development;
- Have the required GPA (set by Specialization area with 2.75 the minimum) in both Educational Studies and Overall;
- Have no grade lower than a “C” in all Education Studies courses;
- Have met all requirements as specified by the specialization/endorsement in the Catalog or specialization handbook;
- Continue free of conviction for felony or any charge involving moral character.
- Submit passing Praxis II content test(s) scores by June 1 for fall semester student teaching or November 1 for spring semester student teaching. Praxis II Content Test Policy Letter
Student Teaching Application
Student teaching application information is reviewed during registration meetings, held between weeks three and four of each semester prior to the student teaching semester. Applications for student teaching are completed within the application section of Tk20. Students may refer to the Student Teaching Application Instructions for further details. Students are required to submit a resume with the application for student teaching. Sample resumes are included below.
- Early Education Sample Resume
- Elementary Education Sample Resume
- Elementary (MAT) Sample Resume
- Secondary Education Sample Resume
- Secondary (MAT) Sample Resume
Student Teacher Semester Information
Deadlines for the student teaching assignment are outlined below in the semester timelines.
Placement Information Packet
As soon as the student teaching assignment is confirmed, students may contact the assigned teacher(s) to schedule an introductory meeting. During the meeting, student teachers must complete the Placement Information Packet (PIP). After completion, the PIP should be submitted via Tk20 (and email to supervisor) by Wednesday of the second week of the semester. Assignment details may be referenced by viewing the Placement Information Packet Instructions document. Assignment templates are listed below.
- Outline of Responsibilities (14 Week Placement)
- Outline of Responsibilities (Split Placement)
- Elementary Schedule
- Secondary Schedule
- Absence Form
- Performance Review
- Practicum Manual
- Shepherd University Code of Conduct for Teacher Candidates in the Field
- ST-11-SELF SUMMATIVE
- ST-11 Self Assessment Guidelines for Student Teachers
- Student Teaching Activity Checklist
Cooperating Teacher Resources
The cooperating teacher is critical to the success of a student teacher and we want to provide you with the support required to make it a positive experience for both of you. The following outline is provided to give you an overview of selected information that should allow you to get off to a strong start (Cooperating Teacher Overview for Student Teaching).
If at any time you have any concerns, please contact the teacher candidate’s assigned university supervisor. If you are unable to reach the supervisor or feel that concerns need to be addressed further, please feel free to contact the student teaching coordinator and/or director of teacher education. We encourage you to take time to review the Student Teaching Practicum Manual which contains details of all Shepherd University Department of Education policies.
Evaluations are entered on our data management system, Tk20. Cooperating teachers will receive an email containing a direct link to evaluations. The Performance Review is due at weeks four and ten of the student teaching assignment. The ST-11 Summative Evaluation is due by the final day of the student teaching assignment. Copies of the evaluations are linked below.
Additional Resources for Cooperating Teachers
Student Teaching Resource Presentations
Click on the links below to view individual presentations by topic:
- Role of Cooperating Teacher
- Role of University Supervisor
- Student Teaching Expectations & Policies
- Observation & Evaluation