Main Menu

Prospective Students

Welcome Future RAMS!

In this section, you will find information on how to apply to Shepherd, Areas of study we offer, the cost of attendance, as well as important information before your arrival in the United States (Visa Information, Medical and Health Insurance, …)

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our International Recruiter, Mr. Siriki Diabate, at or by phone +1 (304) 876-5805

Apply to Shepherd University!

Shepherd University welcomes and hosts students from around the world. Our international students are degree-seeking students (F-1 Students) or exchange students from other universities around the world (J-1 Students). We welcome students who have completed high school, as well as students who are transferring from other higher education institutions (college or university) in the United States and abroad.  Enrollment is on a rolling basis, meaning there are no deadlines. However, international students coming from outside the United States are encouraged to start the application process at least six months in advance. Most students begin their studies in the fall semester (in late-August), although it is possible to begin in the spring semester (in early-January).

Undergraduate Students

International General Admissions (For students who have completed High School and do not have any college credits)

Transfer Students Admission (For students who are transferring from another college or university and/or have completed some college courses)

Graduate Students

International Graduate Admissions

Areas of Study

Shepherd University offers undergraduate study in 27 Bachelor Degree programs, including 90 majors concentrations. We also offer graduate study in five Master Degree programs and one Doctoral Program. Click Here for more information.

Intensive English Language Program

Shepherd University’s Intensive English Language Program (IELP) is designed for students needing Advanced English language skills for university-level studies. Our goal is to provide the language skills and cultural knowledge for students to succeed in an American university and beyond. Our highly qualified and experienced instructors and staff will ensure that your experience at Shepherd is a productive and pleasant one. The IELP offers intensive academic instruction in listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar-in-use to advanced nonnative speakers of English.  Eligible students must have a minimum TOEFL score of 490, IELTS score of 6.0, or equivalent.

Costs of Attendance

As a public university, Shepherd University requires non-residents to pay out-of-state tuition and fees. Limited financial aid is available, though, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Application for financial aid should be submitted with the application for admission. For more information, you should contact Undergraduate Admissions or the respective Graduate Studies Coordinator.

Undergraduate Studies                                                      Graduate Studies

 Tuition  $17,873   Tuition  $11,448
 On-campus room and board: (Apartment, double occupancy, full meal plan)  $10,054  Living Expenses: $12,000
 Medical insurance, books, supplies, personal expenses $ 3,100 Medical insurance, books, supplies, personal expenses  $4,250
Total estimated expenses $31,646 Total estimated expenses $27,698

*All international students are required to have Medical Health Insurance

**Matriculation: When a non-transferring undergraduate student has been accepted for admission as a degree-seeking student, a $100 matriculation fee is to be paid before immigration documents will be issued. This nonrefundable fee reserves a space in the entering class and covers the cost of special welcome and orientation programming.

Preparing to Arrive

Visa Information

Visa application requirements and wait times can vary from one country to the next. Check the web site of the U.S. Embassy in the country from which you will travel for specific information and requirements and to schedule an interview. Allow enough time abroad for visa processing. Keep in mind that your visa process may be delayed if documents are missing or if the consular officer has additional questions.

Please note that you should review the U.S. consulate’s website for your home country for the required forms needed, fees, and other requirements.

Visa Interview

Check the following video for information on getting your Visa to the United States:

Medical and Health Coverage

There is no universal or national health insurance plan in the United States; rather, medical and dental care is generally a personal responsibility and can be quite expensive. These high costs can be extreme and even force an individual to forego necessary care. At Shepherd University we never want an international student, visiting scholar or family member to have to face that kind of a difficult decision.

Therefore, the University requires insurance coverage for all full-time international students and Exchange Visitors. Insurance for Exchange Visitors must meet Department of State standards and amounts including coverage and benefits of $100,000 per accident or illness, a deductible not in excess of $500, repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000 and medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000. The department OR the Exchange Visitor must pay for this coverage.   If the insurance requirement is not complied with, J-1 status will be revoked, and the Exchange Visitor will not be allowed to continue.

There are many companies and health plans available on the market, and it can be quite confusing and overwhelming. To assist, the University recommends you consider purchasing coverage under one of these companies:

International Student Insurance

ISO Insurance

PSI Health Insurance (Gold Plan preferred)

In some cases, you may be able to utilize the health insurance coverage available in your home country or that is part of your overall family’s health coverage. In these instances, we ask that you come prepared with your proof of insurance, allowable services, coverage limits, and information on how to utilize that specific plan in the United States.

We also ask each student to fill out the health status review form and turn this in to our University’s Health Center upon arrival. You may need to consult your local physician about required immunizations (Mumps, Measles, and Rubella) and spinal meningitis (if living on campus), a recent Tuberculosis test, and any special medical needs or considerations you will want the Health Center to be aware of. Depending on the region you will be coming from, you may also be asked to provide additional information. While you can receive the immunizations after arrival, you may find it easier and less expensive to have these completed before arrival. If you do this, make sure your doctor provides proof of immunization.