ISSUED: 26 September 2014
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
MARTINSBURG, WV — Shepherd University’s Martinsburg Center will host a job fair and open house Wednesday, October 8 from noon-5:30 p.m. to inform area residents on career opportunities and education and professional development the center offers. The event is free and open to the public.
More than 19 businesses and organizations will participatein the job fair including Macy’s, WorkForce WV, Home Depot, Quad Graphics, FedEx, American Public University System, University Healthcare, SMX Staffing, Transmerica Agency Network, Bennett Agency, Invenio, Job Corps, Choice Staffing, Avon, Girl Scouts, Deleon and Staing C.P.A., Hollywood Casino, and Potomac Edison.
The open house will provide prospective students an opportunity to discuss degree options with program directors. Applications, financial aid, and scholarship information will be available for students to apply onsite.
Radka Ferancova, a career advisor at Shepherd’s Center for Teaching and Learning Advising Assistance Center, provides several tips for career fair attendees:
- Dress professionally as you would for a job interview and make a positive first impression.
- Have several copies of your updated, error-free résumé available for distribution. Keep them in a portfolio case along with a pen and questions for employers.
- Know who you are and have a focused direction.
- Make sure to collect promotional and contact information from the representative if you are interested in pursuing involvement with a specific organization.
- Never discuss salary at this stage.
- Follow-up after the fair and write thank-you letters.
- Reflect on what you experienced and learned at the fair.
The Martinsburg Center is located at 261 Aikens Center. For more information about the job fair and open house, please contact the Martinsburg Center at 304-263-3303 or visit the web at www.MartinsburgCenter.info.
— 30 —