ISSUED: 14 November 2018
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
SHEPHERDSTOWN, WV — Visitors will once again have the opportunity to step back in time during Shepherd University’s Civil War Christmas November 30 and December 1. The two-day event is sponsored by the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War and Department of History. All activities are free and open to the public.
The center is offering chances to win a handmade quilt crafted by two longtime supporters, Laurie Hollendonner, Akron, Ohio, and Kathy Steele, Clinton, Ohio. During the Civil War Christmas, a display will be set up with the opportunity to purchase raffle tickets for $5 each or $15 for four. The winner will be announced December 5.
Civil War Christmas activities include:
Friday, November 30:
- 4 p.m.—Building a Military Encampment, George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War, 136 West German St.
- 6:30-7:45 p.m.—“The Last Christmas in the Confederate White House,” music performed by the Village Brass, lecture by Ashley Whitehead Luskey, Ph.D., Shepherdstown Presbyterian Church 100 West Washington St.
- 8-9 p.m.—Candlelight Self-guided Walking Tour of Private Homes in Shepherdstown and the Civil War Center, meet outside of the Shepherdstown Presbyterian Church, 100 West Washington St.
Saturday, December 1:
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m.—Military Encampment, George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War, 136 West German St.
- 10 a.m.—Shepherdstown Christmas Parade, German St.
- 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.—Firing Demonstrations and Discussion of the Encampment at the George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War, 136 West German St.
- Noon—Presentation on Military and Civilian Fashion of the Civil War Era, George Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War, 136 West German St.
- 1 p.m.—Living History Demonstration: Arrest and Military Trial of Southern Soldiers and Collaborators, front lawn of the McMurran Hall, 101 East German St.
For more information about the quilt raffle, contact Jennifer Alarcon, Civil War center program assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-876-5429. To learn more about Civil War Christmas and other center events, visit www.shepherd.edu/civilwar.
— 30 —