Shepherd's Open House on Saturday, September 30, has been canceled. You can still register for the other two Open Houses on Saturday, October 28 and Saturday, November 11.
Main Menu


You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for grants. The following grants are awarded on the basis of financial need to undergraduates who have not yet received a four-year degree: (You must also comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.)

Federal Pell Grant

This grant program is based on financial need as determined by completion of a FAFSA each year. The amount of your Federal Pell Grant depends on your cost of attendance, your FAFSA Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled on the last day of the add/drop period. Any enrollment changes must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid. The maximum Pell Grant award for the 2017-2018 academic year (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018) is $5,920. Pell Grants are only available to undergraduates who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This grant program is based on financial need as determined by completion of a FAFSA each year. SEOG is awarded primarily to students with exceptionally high financial need. Priority is given to Pell Grant eligible students and is available only to undergraduates who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. Awards vary as funds are limited.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance For College And Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families .

IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of TEACH Grants that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education. You will be charged interest from the date the grant was disbursed.

Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

A student who is not eligible for the Pell Grant, but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001, may receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Students apply for this grant by completing the FAFSA.

West Virginia Higher Education Grant

The West Virginia Higher Education Grant is a grant awarded by the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission. This grant is available only to full-time undergraduates who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. It can only be renewed for 8 terms. You must complete a FAFSA every year before April 15th. Students who have previously received the grant must complete 24 credit hours between the fall and spring terms and maintain an overall GPA of 2.0.

Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student (HEAPS) Grant

The purpose of the HEAPS Grant Program is to encourage and enable West Virginia students who desire to continue their education on a part-time basis at the post-secondary level. Recipients must maintain an overall GPA of 2.0. A FAFSA demonstrating financial need must be filed each year.  The priority deadline for submitting the FAFSA is March 1st.  A student whose FAFSA is submitted after the priority filing deadline will be considered only if funding is available.  Recipients are selected each year based on the student’s eligibility and the availability of funds.

For further information on specific grants, visit the following webpages:
District of Columbia
MD Grant
PA Grant