Home School Students
Applying to Shepherd University
Shepherd University makes every effort to accommodate the special circumstances of home schooled students during the admissions process. Applicants must submit the following documentation for consideration by the Admissions staff:
- Complete the application for admission.
- Submit a high school transcript (if under the umbrella of a diploma-granting organization).
- In absence of such a document, please submit official GED/TASC scores or a transcript along with a detailed portfolio describing the breadth of coursework. This could include a research project, résumé, reading list, community service, athletic and/or artistic endeavors, and study abroad.
- Send official ACT and SAT scores from www.act.org or www.collegeboard.com
- Send official transcripts from any college or universities attended (if applicable).
- Send AP tests scores (if applicable).
Home School Dual Enrollment
Local students from the state of West Virginia may be enrolled in both high school and college simultaneously. After the completion of their sophomore year in high school, students are eligible to submit an application for special admission to the University to enroll in up to 7 credits per semester.
To apply for concurrent enrollment, students will need to submit:
- Completed High School Concurrent Enrollment Application
- Letter of Recommendation from Parent, Principal, Guidance Counselor or Home School evaluator.
- Official Copy of high school transcript indicating a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- If wishing to enroll in a college level Math or English course at Shepherd, students must submit ACT or SAT scores and meet the following requirements:
- English 101: Minimum score of 18 on the English section of the ACT or 480 on the English section of the SAT
- Math 101: Minimum score of 19 on the Math section of the ACT or 500 on the Math section of the SAT
- Math 105: Minimum score of 19 on the Math section of the ACT or 500 on the Math section of the SAT
- Math 108: Minimum score of 22 on the Math section of the ACT or 540 on the Math section of the SAT.
- Math 205: Minimum score of 25 on the Math section of the ACT or 600 on the Math section of the SAT.
Students may enroll in freshman level courses at Shepherd University which do not require a pre-requisite. For Shepherd’s class schedule, click here.