“I always receive excellent service from IT. They are the best.” – Faculty Member, 2/13/17
Systems and Infrastructure Status
Planned outage: During the week of February 20, 2017, IT Services will be performing upgrades to the Wi-Fi network in Stutzman-Slonaker. These upgrades are to improve and enhance the network experience. Those using this building during that time may experience some minor, intermittent slowness and/or outages. We will do our best to minimize any direct impact during this critical time of the term.
Unplanned outage: None at this time.
- New 2/21/2017. Updated 2/23/2017 – New phishing scheme circulating
IT Services was recently made aware about emails circulating which are a phishing scheme. The warning to us stated the malicious emails come from an address ending in .edu with links supposedly back to the West Virginia state Employee Self Serve system. While the ones we have seen come from .edu domain sites, future ones may come from other sites with different domains as this scheme morphs. Do not follow the instructions.
If you receive one of these emails, but you did not click on the link, forward it to email@example.com. After you send it, delete it immediately and delete it from your Deleted Items folder right after that.
If you already received the email and followed the instructions, do the following steps immediately.
- Turn your computer off.
- Unplug the network cable if your system is connected by a wired connection to the network.
- Call the Shepherd IT Service Desk at 304-876-5457. We will work with you to fix any problems.
- New 2/16/2017. Miller hall Wi-Fi enhancements
The Wi-Fi network in Miller hall was expanded and activated for both the residents and administrative personnel.
- IT Services is deploying a new tool, Print Logic, to assist with the administration of printers/printing. Some users may begin seeing the new software. We will communicate more detailed information upon a full deployment.
- Butcher Center Classroom WiFi enhancements
WiFi is now available in Butcher Center classrooms 112, 113, 114, 118, and 127.
Student Email Problems Tips
The student email system experienced an outage during the time frame of late Friday, January 27 to about mid-day Sunday, January 29, 2017. Some current and previous students may still be experiencing issues pertaining to this outage. Here are some helpful tips to assist you.
- Your student email password was reset to synchronize with your Sakai / Computer Account password. The Username is still your firstname.lastname@example.org, but the password changed.
- If you feel your password is not working, log into the RAIL system, click on Personal Information, click on Password Management and then click on Change Password. Change your password following the rules stated on the page. After changing your password, log out of RAIL and wait at least 10 minutes before trying your password. NOTE: This password change will not only change it for your email account, but also your Sakai login, logging into campus lab and classroom systems, and for validating / registering your personal devices for use on our network.
- For mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, you must enter your Sakai / computer account password into your device’s email app. If you do not, it will keep trying to use the previous invalid one.
- Also for mobile devices, you must change the server address in the email app settings. Most students have the server address as pod51011.outlook.com. That server address is no longer valid. Please remove this server address and enter the new server address of outlook.office365.com
If you are still having problems, please contact the IT Service Desk. Their contact information is at the bottom of this page under the To get help heading.
Extended Support Hours
IT Service Desk Hours
The IT Service Desk hours are Mondays – Thursdays from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
Friday hours are 8 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
After Hours Support
After Hours phone and email support is available between 5 P.M. and 8 P.M. (Mondays – Thursdays). Contact us via phone at 304-263-3066 or via email at email@example.com.
Device Registration Instructions
As we start a new semester we wanted to share important information with you about registering your devices for use on the campus network including wi-fi.
- Desktop computers used in residence halls can be registered by students. Please visit the FAQ page, or click here.
- Laptops, tablets, iPods, smartphones and other smart devices may be registered by you. Please click here to register these types of devices.
- To register devices such as game consoles, Rokus, SmartTVs, and similar devices; please visit this web page.
If you have any questions or problems, how to contact us is immediately below.
To get help
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 304-876-5457 (Main Campus) or 304-263-3066 (Martinsburg Center)
- At the Main Campus, go to the IT Service Desk in the basement of the Library. Look for the sign above our area.
- For the Martinsburg Center, go to room 118. If no one is there, please go to the Front Desk.
Updated February 23, 2017