Keys to Success
Connection, direction and reflection are the keys for a successful second year in college. Below is a list of suggestions for how your college student can actively engage in these themes throughout their second year at Shepherd.
- Engage in student community service opportunities throughout campus, such as our Alternative Spring Break (ASB) and Relay For Life of Shepherd University.
- This year is an opportunity for college students to step into leadership positions, like serving on the Student Government Association or on the Student Life Council, or join a student organization on campus.
- Show your Ram pride by attending a sporting event or participate in an intramural sports team.
- Encourage your student to form study groups and visit with their professors during their office hours to discuss how they’re doing, one-on-one.
- Work toward achieving better wellness by taking care of yourself mentally, physically and emotionally.
- Make an appointment with the Health Center.
- Visit Counseling Services.
- Exercise at the Wellness Center.
- Explore your career interests by making an appointment with Career Services.
- Declare a major and stay on track by continuing to meet with an academic advisor and check up on your four-year graduation plan
- Step back, relax, and reflect by taking the time to explore our beautiful campus. Take a relaxing walk on the C&O Canal, just minutes away from Shepherd’s campus.
- Practice mindfulness and relieving stress through group meditation during Meditation Mondays.
- Refocus your energy into creativity. Take in a live performance through the Performing Arts Series at Shepherd (PASS) or visit the art gallery in the Frank Center.