ISSUED: 10 October 2016
MEDIA CONTACT: Valerie Owens
SHEPHERDSTOWN, WV — Shepherd University will celebrate Homecoming October 17-22 by offering a variety of activities for students and the community. Shepherd will also honor a graduate who has made a difference to the university and in the community, Larry Strite, as Outstanding Alumnus.
Strite graduated from Shepherd in 1960 with a B.S. in business administration and a B.A. in secondary education. He was a member of the 1955 Ram football team, Shepherd’s first undefeated team, and was a member of Martinsburg High School’s 1954 football team, which was that school’s first undefeated team.
Strite continues to support Shepherd in a variety of ways. He is an emeritus board member of the Shepherd University Alumni Association, currently serving as an alumni representative to the Shepherd University Foundation. Strite and his wife, Nancy, are members of the Scarborough and the McMurran societies, and they have been donors for many years supporting Alumni Association, athletics, and Foundation causes. Strite is retired from Corning Glass after a 38-year career in supply chain management.
Strite will participate in the Homecoming parade on Saturday morning and will be recognized during the football game. There will also be a Ram Band Reunion meet-and-greet during the 3rd quarter behind the Ken Boone Field House. Former Ram Band members who would like to play with the band during the game should contact Dr. Scott Hippensteel, associate professor of music and director of bands, at 304-876-5129.
Other activities planned during Homecoming week include:
Monday, October 17
- 5 p.m.—Flashback to the ’90s Homecoming Kickoff in front of the Dining Hall, sponsored by Student Affairs.
Tuesday, October 18
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m.—Homecoming Gives Back Community Service Food Drive in the Student Center, Ram’s Den, sponsored by Student Affairs.
Wednesday, October 19
- 8 p.m.—Quiz Bowl in the Student Center, Storer Ballroom, sponsored by Student Affairs.
Thursday, October 20
- 3:30 p.m.—Founders Day Celebration. The procession will start at McMurran Hall and end on the front lawn of Shaw Hall.
- 5 p.m.- 7 p.m.— Outstanding Alumni of the Year Reunion, Erma Ora Byrd Hall lobby, recognition for Larry Strite and past award recipients. By invitation only.
- 9 p.m.—Skit Night in the Student Center, Storer Ballroom, sponsored by Student Affairs.
Friday, October 21
- 10 a.m.—25th Annual Alumni Association Golf Tournament, Cress Creek Golf and Country Club. The tournament is full but is still accepting sponsorships. Contact Alumni Affairs at 304-876-5524 for more information.
- 12:30 p.m.—Emeritus Faculty and Staff Luncheon, Wellness Center.
- 4:30 p.m.—Homecoming Happy Hour, Multi-Use Pavilion at Ram Stadium. Cost: $25 per person (Cash or check at entry). RSVP required by Wednesday, October 19 to www.greenvelope.com/event/HomecomingHappyHour2016. Coach Monte Cater to provide Homecoming Football Game preview at 5:30 p.m.
- 6 p.m.—1950s Decades Reunion Alumni Dinner. By invitation only.
Saturday, October 22
- 9 a.m.— Alumni Breakfast, McMurran Hall lawn. Sponsored by Shepherd University Foundation and Shepherd University Alumni Association.
- 10:15 a.m.—Homecoming Parade, German St.
- Noon—Football Game: Shepherd Rams vs. Concord University. 2016-17 Outstanding Alumnus Larry Strite ’60 will be recognized as well as those in attendance from the 1950s decade. The Homecoming court will also be introduced.
- 3 p.m.-9 p.m.— Shepherd University Alumni Association post-game party, King St. in front of Town Hall. No admission fee. Must be 21 to drink; IDs will be checked at the gate. Rain or shine.
- 6 p.m.—Class of 1961 Reunion Dinner, Clarion Hotel and Conference Center. For more information, contact Dale Hicks at 304-263-5893.
— 30 —