Welcome! We are very excited that you are considering applying to Shepherd University. The university welcomes students from around the world for degree study and for study while on exchange from a home university. Students who have completed secondary school education (high school) in good standing are eligible to apply for admission. Similarly, students who have attended post-secondary education (college or university) are eligible to apply for admission. Most students begin their studies in the fall semester (in late August), although it is possible to begin in the spring semester (in mid-January). To apply, please follow the instructions below:
1. Complete online application for admission.
2. Submit $45 nonrefundable application fee.
3. Submit one of the following in order to satisfy the academic record requirement:
a). Education outside the United States
- Official academic credential evaluation from one of the approved services of your secondary (high school) and all post-secondary schools (college or university) previously attended. To assist us in assisting appropriate transfer credit for your previous college or university studies, it would also be very helpful to include brief course descriptions to help us award appropriate transfer credit.
b). Education inside the United States
- Official transcripts from secondary (high school) and all post-secondary schools (college or university) previously attended. To assist us in assisting appropriate transfer credit for your previous college or university studies, it would also be very helpful to include brief course descriptions to help us award appropriate transfer credit.
4. Submit one of the following in order to satisfy the English proficiency requirement:
- A minimum score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – TOEFL iBT score 79 (internet based), TOEFL PBT 550 (paper based), or TOEFL score 213 (computer based);
- A minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS);
- A minimum score of 77 on the MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery);
- A minimum score of Grade Pre-1on the EIKEN tests;
- Successful completion of an ESL program approved by Shepherd University.
- A minimum SAT score of 910 (combined Reading and Math scores) with a minimum score of 450 on the reading section OR a minimum Composite ACT score of 19 with a minimum score of 19 on the English and Reading Sections.
- Successful completion of Level 6 of A.C.E.’s Language Institute’s Intensive English Program.
*Note: The English language requirement may be waived if:
A.) The applicant is a national of one of Shepherd University’s approved English speaking nations. Currently, our approved nations are Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. OR
B.) Within the past three years, the applicant has studied full-time, for at least one academic year with English as the language of instruction.
*Note: For the SAT and ACT tests, Shepherd “supercores” and will accept the highest scores from individual sections of multiple test results to allow a better overall score.
5. Provide proof of financial support to cover the tuition and living expenses for one academic year (9 months). We estimate this amount to be $32,061 USD. Proof of financial support may be demonstrated in several ways:
- An of financial support from a personal sponsor (parent, relative, friend, etc.) that has been certified by a bank or financial institution;
- Formal notification from a scholarship agency (government, corporation, etc.) stating the availability of funds and the intention to support educational and living expenses for the duration of study at Shepherd University;
- Bank statement or other certification from a financial institution of personal funds or approved loan stated in U.S. dollars (USD); or
- A statement on letterhead from your employer certifying that the applicant has been granted study leave with salary support.
6. Submit a brief letter or statement outlining your educational goals, signed and dated.
7. Provide a copy of your Passport Information Page.
8. Provide a copy of your current immigration status (relevant documents, approval notices, form I-94, etc.), if you are residing in the United States.
Applications for admission must be submitted online. All additional documents should be sent to:
|Mailing Address||Shepherd University
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 5000
Estimated International Undergraduate Degree-Seeking Student Budget for 2017-2018 (*actual costs may vary slightly)
As a public university, Shepherd University requires non-residents of West Virginia to pay out-of-state tuition and fees. Limited financial aid is available.
Books and Supplies $1,250
Room and Board $11,088
Medical Insurance $600
Total $32,061 USD
Health Insurance: All international students are required to have medical health insurance coverage.
Matriculation: When a student has been accepted for admission as a degree-seeking student, a $100 USD matriculation fee is to be paid before immigration documents will be issued. This nonrefundable fee reserves a space in the entering class.
Check out our profile on School Apply.