Moving In & Moving Out
- Contact your roommate(s) and decide who will bring what items. Commonly shared items include a mini-refrigerator, microwave, TV, DVD player, stereo, and whiteboard.
- Check to make sure that your belongings are insured, either through your parents’ homeowners’ or renters’ insurance policy, or through additional insurance you purchase. Shepherd University does not provide insurance for students’ personal belongings.
- Make sure to review the What To Bring and Prohibited Items List before packing.
- Because most first-year students arrive on the same day, the area around the traditional residence halls (where most first-year students live) can become congested. For this reason, Residence Life requests that you unload your belongings quickly to the curb outside of your residence hall and then move your vehicle to B Lot or any student or visitor parking area.
- Resident Assistants, staff, and student volunteers will be available to assist you with moving your belongings. Water stations will be available in the lobby of your residence hall.
- When you move in, you will be given a lot of information. This information will include your residence hall keys (if keys are used in your building), phone number, and mailbox information. You will also be asked to fill out an Emergency Contact Card, Code of Conduct, as well as a Room Condition Report (RCR). You should conduct a thorough inspection of your room and note any damages or missing items on your RCR. The RCR should be returned to the lobby of your building immediately upon filling it out.
- You are required to vacate your residence hall at the end of the academic year. Your belongings may remain in your room during breaks. Over winter break all items, including refrigerators, must be unplugged. All breaks require your room to be clean, trash taken out, windows locked, and blinds down.
- At the end of the academic year, you are required to move-out of your residence hall room no more than 24 hours after your last final exam or by 6pm on the last day of finals, whichever comes first.
- Please follow these steps to ensure a smooth move-out:
- Attend mandatory move-out meetings held by RAs a few weeks prior to move out to get current move-out procedures.
- Sign-up for a check out appointment with your RA. Failure to check out properly will result in an improper check out fee.
- Remove all belongings and clean your room. Students may be charged if excessive cleaning is needed after move-out.
- Review your RCR with your RA and sign it. Turn in your keys, if applicable. Fill out a mail forwarding card for the summer months.