Dr. Jennifer Penland, Chair and Associate Professor
- Doctorate in Educational Leadership/ Emphasis in Multicultural Studies –Lamar University, 2007
- Additional Spanish Coursework – Navarro College, 2009-2010
- Master’s Degree in Secondary Education/ Effective Teaching/ Geology – Colorado State University, Pueblo/ Lamar University, 2001
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education/ Emphasis in Foundations of Education and Earth Sciences (1-8) – Lamar University, 1989
- Publishes articles and book chapters related to social, cultural and academic resiliency
- Presents at various national and international scholarship forums
- Advocates for underrepresented populations
- Conducts “experiential learning” training
- Develops intergenerational service learning projects
- Develops internships and serves as liaison between the university and employers partnerships
- Learning Management System Contributor (Purple Briefcase/ RNL)
- Service: National Association of Colleges and Employers (Principles for Ethical Professional Practice Committee) and various accreditation committees
- Grant Recipient (2000; 2013; 2014)
- Title V AD/ Director of Experiential Learning (Internships); Coordinator of First Year Seminar Experiences; committee member of SACSCOC, President’s Strategic Planning and Sustainability; Interim Administrative Chair Department of HS/CJ– Sul Ross State University (2015- present)
- Assistant Professor of Education, Advisor & CAEP Math/Sci PED 2 Data Contributor; National Reconnaissance Volunteer Program, Chantilly, VA – Shepherd University, 2012-2014
- Doctoral Dissertation Coordinator/ Advisor/ Mentor – Lamar University, 2011-2014
- Articulation Coordinator of Academic Programs, Advisor & Associate Professor – Western Wyoming Community College, 2010 -2012
- Interim Director of Administrative Programs – Texas A & M University – C/ Navarro College Student Success Programs, 2009-2010
- Assistant Professor of Education & Field Supervisor – Dickinson State University, 2007-2008
- Master Teacher & Adjunct Faculty for COE & CAS; NCATE/CAEP S.S. Chair – Lamar University, 2003-2007
- Curriculum Specialist & Consultant – Region V ESC, 2000-2002
Technology Training & Certifications:
- Purple Brief Case Software & College Student Inventory – Ruffalo-Noel Levitz
- Educational Testing Systems – Higher Education Career Programs
- Banner Systems
- Leadership Big Bend 2016 Certificate Training
- Sakai, TK20, Live Text, Blackboard/ Collaborate- Web-Based Trainings
- Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, Google Docs- Social Media, LinkedIn, Higher Education
- Brain-Based Strategies – Bureau of Education & Research
- Curriculum & Consulting Certification – R. Fogarty & Associates, Santa Fe, NM
- TIFB Grant Writing – Region 5 ESC & West Virginia Humanities Council
- Advanced Placement Programs – The College Board – San Antonio, TX
- National Center for Education Statistics – U.S. Department of Education/AISES Washington, D.C.
- Texas Teaching Certificate – Lifetime/ Provisional
- State of Colorado – Licensure/ 1995-2000
Coursework *Developed/ Taught:
- Democracy and the Politics of Schooling (EDST 2480)
- First Year Seminar – (SRSU 1101)
- Educational Foundations – (EDFD 2020) – WWCC; Graduate Course (EDST 5280)
- *Lifespan Adulthood – (EDFD 2451)
- Pre-Professional Education Seminar- (ELED 298, ELED 398)
- Pre-Service Teacher Supervision – (ELED 498A)
- *Integrated Math, Science & Social Studies – (EDUC 352, 354)
- *Integrated Sciences III – (GEOL 3411)
- *Integrated Social Studies I & II SOCI 3301, 3302)
- *Educational Technology – (EDUC 510)
- *Integrated Pedagogy – Graduate Course (EDUC 588)
- Learning in Contexts: Educational Theorists – Graduate Course (EDUC 582)
- Introduction to Graduate Research (ED 5307)
- President’s Strategic Planning Committee – (2015 -present)
- University Sustainability Committee – (2015-present)
- University Instructional Technology Committee- (2015-present)
- SACSCOC QEP Oversight Committee (2015-present)
- National Association for Colleges and Employers – (NACE 2015-present)
- Council on Undergraduate Research (2015-present)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development – (2012-2014)
- American Educational Research Association (2007-2009)
- Higher Education Forum (2004-2007)
- NCATE/CAEP Spa Reports Committee (2002-2005; 2012-2014)
- National Gateway Program (2012-2014)
- VPAA Undergraduate Research Council (2012-2104)
- (Forthcoming, February 2019). Co –authored with Dr. Ken Laviers and Steve McPherson. “Reimagined Higher Ed Classrooms: Meaningful Learning through Culturally Unbiased Virtual and Augmented Reality” – Handbook of Research on Innovative Pedagogies and Best Practices in Teacher Education – IGI Global Publishing.
- (July 2018). Co-authored with Dr. Ken Laviers, Elbert Bassham & Victor Nnochiri. “Virtual Learning: A Study of Virtual Reality for Distance Education” – Handbook of Research on Blended Learning Pedagogies and professional Development in Higher Education – IGI Global Publishing.
- Co-authored with Dr. Dawne R. Burke. (April 2017). “Successful Transitions from College to Career”- Handbook of Research on Pedagogical Models for Next-Generation Teaching and Learners– IGI Global Publishing.
- Presentation at the National Alliance of Hispanic Serving Institution Educators Conference entitled, “Successful Experiences in College Leading to Careers” in Las Vegas, NV (April 2017).
- Penland, J.L. (August 2016). “Developing Resilience through Experiences: El Camino Al Exito” – Handbook of Research on Learner-Centered Pedagogy in Teacher Education and Professional Development, IGI Global Publishing.
- Presentation at the Lilly National Conference for Evidence-based Teaching in Higher Ed entitled, Developing Resiliency through Experiential Learning Opportunities: El Camino Al Exito in Newport Beach, CA (February 2016).
- Presentation at the New Perspectives: National Mentoring Conference entitled, “Paradigm Shifts: Mentoring and 21st Century Learning” in Albuquerque, NM (October 2015)
- Co-Presentation with Dr. Dawne R. Burke at the International Lilly Conference entitled, “Shifting Paradigms: Resiliency Activation with Students in Higher Education”, in Bethesda, MD (May 2015)
- Penland, J.L. (March 2015). “Constructivist Blended Learning and Resiliency in Higher Education” –Handbook of Research on Educational Technology Integration and Active Learning, IGI Global Publishing.
- Penland, J.L. (January 2015). “A Blended Approach: Persistence and Resiliency in Higher Ed” – Journal of Teaching and Teacher Education, University of Bahrain, 3(1).
- Co-Presentation with Dr. Dawne R. Burke at the 24TH National Association for Multicultural Education Conference entitled, “Cultivating Educational Equity & Resiliency through Storytelling” in Tucson, AZ (November 2014)
- Penland, J.L. (Summer 2014). INED 411/511 course pack, University of South Dakota, XanEdu Publishing
- Penland, J.L. (2013). “Indian Education Act of 1992” Multicultural America: A Multimedia Encyclopedia, SAGE
- Penland, J.L. and Shala, B. (2013). “Albanian Americans”, “English Americans” and U.S. House of Representatives of the 21st Century”, Multicultural America: A Multimedia Encyclopedia, SAGE
- Penland, J.L. (Summer 2011). “Expressions of Native Resiliency” with the Center for World Indigenous Studies, Fourth World Journal, 10(1).
- Penland, J.L. (March, 2010). “Voices of Resiliency”, in the Qualitative Report, 15(2).
- Penland, J.L. (Spring 2007). “Life: A Critically Reflective Experience” – The Journal of Mentoring and Tutoring, Routledge.
- Penland, J.L. & Rice, D. (2006). “Riding the Tidal Wave of Distance Education”, in the National Forum of Educational Administration and Supervision Journal, 23(3).
Consulting and other Professional Experiences:
- Curriculum Specialist/ Training Consultant with Fogarty & Associates in NM & Region 5 ESC, Beaumont, TX, 2000-2002
- Public School Science Teaching – (1989-2000) Texas and Colorado
- Southeast American Cultural Group – Grant Recipient (2014) – Shepherd University
- West Virginia Humanities Council – Grant Recipient (2013) – Shepherd University
- Service Learning Science – Region V ESC – Grant Recipient (2000) – KISD, Texas