Shepherd University’s Core Curriculum has been designed to
- facilitate the acquisition of knowledge of human cultures and the physical and natural world,
- foster the development of intellectual and practical skills and a sense of personal and social responsibility, and
- provide opportunities for integrative learning.
Students wanting more information on the Core Curriculum requirements may click the Core Curriculum Catalog Description link to the left. This will take you to the Core Curriculum section of the current Shepherd University catalog. The Core Curriculum worksheets (also linked at the left) are provided by the Office of Academic Advisement. Use the one that corresponds to your catalog year to keep track of your progress through the Core Curriculum.
Faculty advisors may find links to current and past Core Curriculum worksheets (developed by the Advising office) on the Forms and Instructions page. Use the worksheet that corresponds to your advisee’s catalog year.
Faculty wanting to add, remove, or make changes to existing courses in the Core should see the Guidelines for Core Curriculum Course Review document in the Forms and Instructions page. Those instructions will tell you how to fill out and submit the Core Curriculum Course Review Request form (also available there). Some of the information you will need may be found in the Framework Document (see link on left).
Core Curriculum Committee meetings for AY 2016-2017:
- September 21, 2016 (submissions due by September 14)
- October 19, 2016 (submissions due by October 12)
- November 16, 2016 (submissions due by November 9)
- January 18, 2017 (submissions due by January 11)
- February 15, 2017 (submissions due by February 8)
- March (no meeting)
- April 19, 2017 (submissions due by April 12)
The Core Curriculum Committee meets the third Wednesday of each month at 4:10 p.m. in the Cumberland Room of the student Center.
Address questions regarding the Core Curriculum to the chair of the Core Curriculum Committee:
Kevin Williams, Ph.D.
Knutti Hall, Room L110