Main Menu

Visa Information Dependents


Only the spouse and minor children (under age 21) who accompany the primary F-1 visa holder to the U.S. may receive F-2 dependent status. Their eligibility to stay legally in the U.S., as well as to extend their stay, is contingent upon the primary F-1 visa holder maintaining his/her legal status and extending his/her program in a timely manner.

All other family members must apply for a B-1 or B-2 visitor’s visa to gain entry to the U.S.

F-2 Dependents

The spouse and minor children (under age 21) of the F-1 student may be admitted into the U.S. in F-2 classification, if each dependent presents a SEVIS Form I-20 issued in his or her own name and an F-2 visa. To request an I-20 for your dependents:

Documents Needed to Apply for an F-2 Visa

Important Information about F-2 Status

After your dependent(s) arrive, please provide the International Student Affairs office with a copy of their passport biographic page(s), visa stamp(s), and I-94(s).

Once you, as the F-1 student, have completed your studies and you are planning to depart the U.S., your F-2 dependents must depart with you as well.

Dependent children over age 21 are not eligible for F-2 status and will need to change to another status such as F-1 (for full time students) prior to their 21st birthday if they wish to remain in the U.S.

At the end of the F-1 program, there is a 60-day grace period during which the F-1/F-2 may stay in the U.S. Once the F-1 primary leaves the U.S., the F-2 dependents must leave as well.


The F-2 spouse and children of an F-1 student may not accept employment in the U.S. However, they may do volunteer work as long as there is no compensation of any kind and the F-2 dependent is doing a job usually done by volunteers.


The F-2 spouse of an F-1 student may not engage in full time study; the F-2 child may only engage in full time study if the study is in an elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade). The F-2 spouse and child may engage in study that is avocational or recreational in nature.

An F-2 spouse or F-2 child (post high-school) who desires to engage in full time study must apply for and obtain a change of nonimmigrant classification to F-1, J-1, or M-1 status.