Employees and Board Members
- Approval to travel must be secured in advance. Under no circumstances should an employee travel without proper approval.
- The Traveler is responsible for submitting a travel expense settlement/summary form to the Department of Procurement Services, with all required attachments. This documentation must be submitted within a reasonable time period of two months from the last day of approved travel, in order to qualify for reimbursement of expenses unless expressly approved in advance by the Office of Procurement Services.
- A Corporate travel card may not be used for personal expenses for any reason.
- Airfare–Travelers are encouraged to use one of State contracted travel agency; however, non-contracted may be used when a less expensive airfare can be obtained. NOTE: If appropriate documentation not obtained from the non-contracted agency traveler may not be reimbursed. Print all online documentation and do print screens to assure correct documentation is present.
- Shepherd University requires that consultants, contractors, and interview candidates are subject to the same travel rules and dollar limits as employees, if travel is to be reimbursed. The appropriate documentation must be provided with all required receipts. If these individuals do not wish to follow our travel regulations, then travel must be a part of an all-inclusive flat fee.
- Reimbursement can be made to the traveler in advance for airfare purchases up to 180 days before the trip begins.
- A “Passenger receipt – invoice” must accompany the settlement in order to receive reimbursement.
- If the traveler’s airfare is reimbursed prior to the trip, this information must be referenced on the final expense account settlement.
- Commercial airline tickets shall not be billed directly to Shepherd University.
- Shepherd University will only make one advance payment per trip per traveler for airfare and/or registration. In order to be reimbursed for registration prior to a conference, the invoice must demonstrate a cost savings (ex., early bird registration savings) or space limitations.
- If a traveler chooses to drive rather than fly, reimbursement will be based on actual in-transit expenses (mileage, hotel, meals, etc.), not to exceed the lowest available commercial airfare.
- Cash advances of $100 minimum may be obtained through the Travel Card by using the ATM. Cash advances are not permitted for personal use.
- ATM receipts are required for reimbursement of the terminal fees & bank fees.
- The traveler must be in overnight status before they can be reimbursed for an ATM fee and/or terminal fee.
- The employee can be reimbursed for up to five ATM fees and/or associated fees per trip in a rolling seven-day period.
Direct Billed Payments
- Copies of direct-billed receipts MUST be attached with the final expense account. Providing this information/documentation is the responsibility of the traveler.
- Example: Hotel/Airfare billed to Team Travel Card, Registration billed to the Purchasing Card or Purchase Order must be referenced in the direct-billed section and a copy of the receipt included with final travel settlement. Providing copies of this documentation is the responsibility of the traveler.
- Persons who are traveling in a foreign country must report their expenditures in United States dollars. The rates of conversion must be listed on the expense account.
- Reimbursement may be made for visa fees, guides, interpreters and currency conversion.
- Lodging arrangements are not required to be made through one of the contracted agencies.
- Lodging shall be reimbursed at the least expensive single room rate. If accommodations are shared with other travelers, their name(s) must be noted on the travel settlement.
- Original itemized receipts (folio) are required for lodging reimbursement. Copies or faxed copies must be certified as original by the traveler.
- The hotel receipt is not required to show a zero balance.
- Lodging may not be billed directly to Shepherd University.
- Meal reimbursement is NOT allowed on one-day travel. The traveler MUST be in overnight status, except as expressly authorized in advance by the Office of Procurement Services.
- Meal expense reimbursement is limited to actual expenses for food, services and gratuities up to the rate authorized by the Board of Governors. Specifically excluded are alcoholic beverages and entertainment.
- Meal reimbursement is allowable when lodging is listed as “gratis” or “no charge.”
Total Daily Maximum
- For the purpose of determining the amount of deductions for meals on a uniform basis allowances for meal expenses shall be deducted accordingly:
Breakfast: 20% of the maximum daily rate
Lunch: 20% of the maximum daily rate
Dinner: 60% of the maximum daily rate
- To be eligible for breakfast, the traveler must begin the trip at least two (2) hours before their normal workday or be in overnight status.
- To be eligible for dinner, the traveler must end the trip at least two (2) hours after their normal workday ends or be in overnight status.
- Travelers will not receive an allowance or reimbursement for meals that are included in registration fees.
- Whenever an audit shows that the traveler is consistently taking the full rate or is in some other way using a regular flat rate, Shepherd University will require meal receipts.
- Travelers transporting or accompanying students or others entrusted to a spending unit for their care, education or placement, receipts are required or in lieu of receipts for students, a student signature form may be provided.
- Mileage is reimbursed for use of a personal vehicle at the rate set by the State of West Virginia, which is currently .535 per mile.
- Mileage is NOT reimbursable for local travel i.e. picking up of supplies and running of errands, but IS ALLOWABLE for the supervision of students or when included in an employment contract or agreement.
Personal Telephone Calls
- When a traveler is on multiple days of travel or single day and is unexpectedly delayed for business reasons, reimbursements shall be made at actual cost as listed on hotel receipt/folio, not to exceed $3.00 a day. Please list this reimbursement expense under “other expenses” on the travel settlement form specifying “personal.”
Business Telephone Calls
- Business telephone calls (local or long distance) will be reimbursed at actual cost as listed on hotel receipt/folio. List this reimbursement expense under “other expenses” on the travel settlement form specifying “business.”
- Receipts are required for reimbursements.
- Direct-billed registration (i.e. Team Master Card, Purchasing Card, and Purchase Order) must be referenced in the direct-billed section and a copy of the registration form or receipt included with the final travel settlement.
- Rental vehicles are not required to be reserved through the contacted travel service vendor.
- Collision damage waiver insurance should be taken for rentals of seven days or less unless the Corporate Travel Card is being used.
- The Corporate Travel Card provides collision damage coverage up to 60 days. This does not cover the rental of trucks, campers, off road vehicles, trailers, motorized bikes, motorcycles and motorized scooters, antique cars, high value, special interest and exotic cars or vans that seat more than 15 occupants.
- Travelers should return rental cars with a full tank of fuel to avoid high refueling costs charged by rental agencies.
- Reimbursement will be made for actual fuel costs; however, receipts are not required, but should be provided if available.
Student Travel/Guardian Travel
- Meal receipts are required for reimbursement unless per diem allocation is issued.
- If a daily per diem is allocated to each student or other individual the traveler is responsible for disbursing the funds and must submit a signed statement from each student verifying receipt of monies.