April 9, 2020, 4:24 p.m.
Dear Students, Faculty, Staff, and Community Members:
Shepherd continues to serve our students and our surrounding community. We’ve been able to witness innovative teaching and learning, adaptation to teleworking, as well as providing needed equipment to healthcare organizations and first responders. In short, and I’m not surprised, our students, faculty, and staff are amazing!
In finishing our second week of distance instruction, thank you to our dedicated faculty and support staff—your commitment to student success is appreciated! And, kudos to our students who are in the midst of a new way to learn. Your flexibility and ability to adapt will serve you greatly in the years ahead!
The safety of our campus community is our top priority, and as we continue to deal with the ramifications of the COVID-19 pandemic, the University has made the following decisions regarding the Summer 2020 term:
Summer Term to Move Online
- Shepherd University will extend the distance delivery of courses through the summer term. As such, there will be no on-campus classroom instruction for the entire summer term scheduled to run May 26th through August 4th.
- Available Courses: The Office of the Provost is working with our academic leadership to determine which courses originally slated for face-to-face instruction can be transitioned to an online format for summer. The good news is, 50% of summer courses were already online, and we’ve been messaging faculty to prepare for this transition. Courses originally scheduled for online delivery will continue to be offered as planned.
- Advising: Students should work with their faculty advisors to explore the next steps for their summer coursework. Help is also available in the Advising Assistance Center.
- Shepherd Students Succeed!: There are a variety of student resources that can be found online, including advisement, academic support & tutoring, health center, student success, library access, and more.
- Online Course Fee: For summer 2020 we are waiving the online course fee of $50 per credit hour for all courses.
- Summer Start: We will continue with the planned Summer Start program for incoming students. Please consult their webpage for updates.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we look ahead to the future! Shepherd will continue to adapt and make the necessary changes to ensure we are all safe and that we save lives.
Dr. Scott Beard