February 3, 2020
The University and the Health Center are monitoring information about the Coronavirus closely. At this point there are no cases in West Virginia or surrounding areas. The incubation period for the Coronavirus is two weeks. Anyone who believes they could have been in contact with an infected person should monitor their health for two weeks and contact their primary care provider or the Shepherd University Health Center. Also, as employees of Shepherd University, you have access to Teladoc.
While we are in the midst of flu season, precautions should already be in place to limit the spread of all viruses. As a reminder with either the flu or Coronavirus please take the following precautions (according to the CDC):
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please be assured Shepherd University will take all necessary steps to keep our community safe. And as always if you have any questions please contact the Health Center.
Becky Boehler RN BSN
Health Center Director